• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which direction should the shadow be?

Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added a sign to a photo and am having difficulty figuring out which way the shadow I am creating should be cast.  This is what I have, but it doesn't look like it is in the correct direction or in the proper perspective.

Any other criticism or suggestions are welcome.

Here is the photo with personal information removed (overwritten in yellow):

01 20160917_102100 Edited 3 copy blur.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sun is directly above and slightly to the right. Look at the apple in the top right hand corner. So the shadow should be a lot shorter, and more towards the left.

The horizontal parts of the sign/shadow should also be parallel. As it is, the whole perspective looks off.

But it's not just the shadow. The woodwork in the sign should have a lot more relief, with the sun directly above. It's too flat. This is probably quite intricate work, so quick'n'dirty you might just darken the whole sign a bit. And trim the bright contours except at the top edges.

Who said compositing is easy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On closer look, the perspective is off. The sign seems to have been shot with a wide(r) angle lens, but the main scene with a normal lens. Maybe just 35mm vs 50 mm, but enough to look inconsistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

On closer look, the perspective is off. The sign seems to have been shot with a wide(r) angle lens, but the main scene with a normal lens. Maybe just 35mm vs 50 mm, but enough to look inconsistent.

Actually, the sign was photographed straight on with a DSLR (35 mm, I believe, but not sure) and the trees with a Samsung Galaxy phone (which may account for the wide angle). I "twisted" the sign after I added it to the image. If Jim Simon were reading this he would tell me to throw away the phone footage and reshoot, but this is what I was given and have to work with it.

I'm wondering now if I should choose another background for the sign or even crop the existing photo differently.  I have some latitude, as the original tree photo is a larger pixel size and portrait rather then landscape.  The finished image will be the second photo in a slide show created in After Effects and edited in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the shadow should be a lot shorter, and more towards the left.

So that it is cast to the left of the sign instead of the right? Or more towards the rear of the sign?

As it is, the whole perspective looks off.

The woodwork in the sign should have a lot more relief

Would it look better if the sign were facing square to the viewer, rather than on a angle, perhaps moving it a bit closer to the viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slightly left of the sign, but mainly a lot shorter. Maybe just up to "september 17".

The angle is no problem, but there is too much perspective in the sign itself - although that's a bit hard to judge because the shadow doesn't follow the sign in the horizontal direction. Fix that first, and maybe the perspective will look better.

And of course, you need to work on the base, the point where the poles are set into the grass. You really need to see individual blades of grass here, as well as some shadow behind them. It needs to be messy, it can't be as clean as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course, you need to work on the base, the point where the poles are set into the grass. You really need to see individual blades of grass here, as well as some shadow behind them. It needs to be messy, it can't be as clean as this.

Yes, that was kind of in the back of my mind.  I suppose that they wouldn't be using a weed wacker on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is down left a little

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 6.09.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the others said plus turn the fence posts round so you can see the left of each - Just copy the front, move and mask works to do this.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken all of your advice and input and have come up with this:

01 20160917_102100 Edited 8 copy.jpg

More criticist is welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can see both sides of the left post. The right hand side (of that left post) needs taking out

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that now.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think there's just a little bit too much perspective in the sign, and certainly in the shadow. It's also misaligned to the right hand pole.

And the shadow needs to be deeper (and more fuzzy):

Untitled-1.jpg

But you're getting there...this isn't easy, not with such strongly defined light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I'll work on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how am I doing so far?

What next?

01 20160917_102100 Edited 9.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er...when I said "deeper shadow" I meant deeper shade, not longer...my bad perhaps, English isn't my native language

It should still stop at about where it says "september 17".

Maybe someone else should take over here, I've scrutinized this image so much by now, I can no longer judge it objectively...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er...when I said "deeper shadow" I meant deeper shade, not longer...my bad perhaps, English isn't my native language

It should still stop at about where it says "september 17".

I'l;l make that adjustment, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I'm still cleaning up snow.  We got 34 inches and they were only predicting 10 -18 inches. I'm tired of plowing, snowblowing, shoveling. 

Is this OK?

01 20160917_102100 Edited 15.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - Looks good Bob.

Can't quite make my mind up if the right side of the post needs moving so it is more inline with the hedge or not. But I don't think overall it matters too much. Plus it would probably be more work than it's worth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very good, this feels right. I'd buy this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

Is this OK?

01 20160917_102100 Edited 15.jpg

Yes I think you have it cracked there, it looks real.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I'm still cleaning up snow.  We got 34 inches and they were only predicting 10 -18 inches. I'm tired of plowing, snowblowing, shoveling.

That last challenge was much harder than Autumn. (I know...... I had too much time on my hands this afternoon !)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
But I don't think overall it matters too much. Plus it would probably be more work than it's worth?

Yes, I'm going to call it done. It's the second photo in a one minute and thirty second slideshow and it appears for less than 10 seconds.

Now the toughest part:

You've all been very helpful, but which one do I mark correct? 

confused_2011.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....What next?

Autumn??

Sorry Bob - couldn't resist

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

.....What next?

Autumn??

Sorry Bob - couldn't resist

Dave

Actually, the apple trees we have here only turn one color in the fall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha.... That'll teach me

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines