• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill shape drawn with pen tool

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2010 Jan 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three posts dealing with this issue and each time the person who posted the problem said they figured it out but did not say what they did.  Here is the problem:

I draw a shape with the pen tool in Flash CS4.  I made sure the shape was closed.  But, I cannot fill the shape no matter what.  Paint bucket tool does not work.  Whatever I do, I get the red diagonal line on the fill color.  I can fill a shape with the rectangle or oval tools but not the pen tool.

Please help.  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

I was having this same problem. And I figured it out.

First Select your outlines that you made with your Direct Selection Tool. (A)

Next (Hold) Shift and select the (drop down menu arrow) next to the Fill box above your artwork.

Now simply select your color and it should automatically fill if everything is closed off.

Or

Select everything again and hover your mouse pointer over to the right-hand side and select your color of choice if the color window is showing.

Hope this helps man!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are unable to even select a fill color? So it is not a line or bucket problem - it is a problem with the ability to select a fill color in the first place? Can you upload the FLA? This just happens with shapes drawn with the pen tool? Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Select your drawn object with Selection Tool, then select Modify/Combine Objects/Union. Now you should be able to change/add a fill color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would make sense if:

Object Drawing Mode was turned on and if the shape was made up of more than 1 stroke segment (right?). But that wasn't how the original poster explained it - but it does make sense. You could also break all the line segments apart as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<But that wasn't how the original poster explained it>

Sounds like my experience. I tried making a vector object with the Pen Tool (like I've done a billion times before in Illustrator) only to not be able to select a fill. Changing the outline color and stroke was fine. It's almost like even though it's a closed path, it/they (vector segments) needed to be closed (Union) again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.  I tried what you suggested but the union selection was grayed out.  I was in the drawing object mode.  But after fooling with it for a bit the following worked (I'm still not sure why):

I double clicked on the object with the selection tool.

I then selected a fill color in the property panel and it filled in.

However, I cannot replicate this.  I tried drawing another shape with the pen tool and cannot fill it in.  I tried converting it to a symbol and that did not work either.  I must have done something to the original shape that allowed me to fill it in last time I fooled with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I finally figured it out. Vector lines/objects that are not closed will not fill. When you're going to finish/close the line object, it might not close. Even though the Pen Tool shows the little circle indicating you are over the end point. It appears to me this is due to a Snap selection. Try closing your vector line objects with all Snap options unselected or only Snap to Objects selected. This is working for me now without flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a closed object with the line tool, using the snap button, but could not fill it. I resorted to a union, fill and break apart. I am using Fred Gerantabee's book on Flash CS5 and he says ithis work, but it does not in my hands.

While I at complaining,  the pen tool is over done. Why not implement adding, removing and moving control points by holding down keys, control, command etc. and clicking with the mouse.

Dabob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same problem. And I figured it out.

First Select your outlines that you made with your Direct Selection Tool. (A)

Next (Hold) Shift and select the (drop down menu arrow) next to the Fill box above your artwork.

Now simply select your color and it should automatically fill if everything is closed off.

Or

Select everything again and hover your mouse pointer over to the right-hand side and select your color of choice if the color window is showing.

Hope this helps man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi brony magic productions,

Thank you for sharing your solution with us.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rightclick over the shape, and from the popup menu select "Fill Path". Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved my life. Thank you. Right click and fill, brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I stepped into this thread because I have the exact same problem.

None of the suggested actions worked for me, manly because the "bucket" tool is disables or because there is no "fill" option on any dropdown menu at all.

I figured out a circumvention, though, that I'd like to share, also to verify it.

the only way I found to color fill with shape created with the pen toll is the following:

1. Use ellipse tool to draw an ellipse with the fill color I need. With an ellipse the bucket tool is enabled and I can select the fill color easily.
  2. Keep the ellipse aside in a corner of the document.
  3. Draw the path you need with the pen tool. It allows me only to select the border color, no chance I can set a fill color at all.
  4. Select the path with the Direct Selection Tool (A).
  5. Click on the Eyedropper Icon (I) on the left (it's on the left usually). The cursor turns into an eyedropper.
  6. Click then inside the ellipse. The cursor turns into a bucket.
  7. Click inside the shape. Voilà.
  8. Remove the ellipse.

It looks a bit cumbersome, but it works, and I found no other way.

Am I missing anything?

thanks a lot,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be able to post an example somewhere, of a closed pen drawn line that doesn't fill by using the paint bucket? I'm not able to fail to fill in the shape, so something is different about your shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have recorded what I do, in the attached video:

Dropbox - animate.wmv

Basically I draw a closed path and then struggle around to find a way to set the fill color.

Hope this gives some idea.

BR

Cristiano.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you try every tool except the paint bucket? The paint bucket is able to both fill empty areas as well as fill already filled areas. It does what you want in a single click.

As an aside, many of the tools have been improved, you should update to CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ops...!

After your last comment, I went back to Animate and paid more attention.

I thought I had tried the paint bucket tool... but you are right, I guess was focusing on the wrong paint icon.

Now I see what you mean, and it works.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Br

Cristiano.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this I think it is helpful: Draw and create objects with Animate CC

Draw and create objects with Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so I am brand new to Illustrator as of the last two weeks, but here's my two cents. What I found to work for me and that made the most sense for what I was doing was to direct select (CTRL+A) the whole shape/stroke and make both the fill and stroke color boxes with /'s through them (clear) so it's basically invisible, then go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke, and that basically made it a shape, and then I was able to use the fill and stroke boxes like I would with a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines