• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Flatten/Merge history for snapshot to continue editing with baseline

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use LR to do a lot of major exposure editing. Right now after I make major changes (example to a 400 image for a wedding session at a time). I export all the images as original (raw files) with their changes after I am done the first round of editing. Make sure I have everything exported properly... then I remove the library and import the images again with all the changes that I made in round 1.

I do this so I can make my second round of changes and check with before/after on what changes I am making to the images and make sure they are getting better. In the second round of changes... my before/after is comparing the image to when I exported it after I made my first round of major changes. Does this make sense to you. If I don't export/delete/import... the before/after only compares the image to the original import from the camera. I want to see the image with all the edits after round 1.

Working with hundreds of images at a time... I need to "flatten/merge" all the history & changes I made to create the baseline for my second round of changes. I'm wondering if there is a better way to flatten all the changes I made in round 1 without having to export/delete/import the images? Its a dangerous process as if you mess up anything you lose your whole round of changes in round 1 which could have been multiple days worth of work.

Im hoping to find an automated process to merge all the changes so I can come back when its done and start fresh with round 2 of editing.

Thanks!

Lincoln

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Thank you so much for all the help. [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left Cursor] works and allows the "before" to show me my correct starting point with all my previous changes.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this so I can make my second round of changes and check with before/after on what changes I am making to the images and make sure they are getting better. In the second round of changes... my before/after is comparing the image to when I exported it after I made my first round of major changes. Does this make sense to you?

The much easier way to do this is to create a snapshot when you are finished with the first round of editing. Ctrl-N on Windows (or Cmd-N on Mac). While this isn't "automated", it seems like a relatively simple thing to do, not burdensome at all, when you are finished with the first round of editing, Ctrl-N then ENTER and you've got your snapshot.

Then you can always get back to the first round of edits, or even toggle between the first edit and the second edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the Cntl N snapshot.. it does create a snapshot but when I do a quick view of before/after "\" shortcut... it still views the image from the original import and I don't see the changes I made.

Yes when I export as original I get the original file with the xmp with all the changes. When I re-import the files again my "baseline" image has all the changes and there is no history so my before/after shows me my new starting point. That way any new changes really show me if my second edit is making the image better and im closer to what I want.

I use LR with the Motibodo program running which makes editing really fast and quick. I can edit faster than the computer can keep up. I want to still figure out a way to flatten all my changes. Snapshot doesn't seem to do that... or Im not using it properly.

Before using snapshot shows original file... not snapshot.

After with snapshot shows my changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ has you pointed in a good direction.

One of the things to keep in mind is that when you export "as original", you are getting a copy of the original file with NO changes applied to it. Maybe you are getting an XMP file to go with it that contains some of your edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my before/after is comparing the image to when I exported it

Do you know that you can select any step in the history panel and set it as the "Before" image. (R-click mouse)

And do this also from a snapshot.

This would save all the hassle of exporting-reimporting, etc. if it is just a before/after function you want.

ScreenShot160.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... that is exactly the results that I want. I just need to find a quick way to set it or automate that. The object is fast editing and keeping my hands on the keyboard for everything other than what I have to use the mouse for. eg)cropping etc. Using the Motibodo allows me to do 90 of my edits without using the mouse or taking my hands off the keyboard.

I'll see if there is a way to automate that step or run a script to make that bulk change after Im done my edits. Maybe a robot program could do it.

Thanks for that info... it's close!
Lincoln

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a comment on-

I want to still figure out a way to flatten all my changes.

Lightroom is not a 'pixel' editor. It does not 'flatten' any of the edit steps (although you can Clear History easily). Retaining the full history of all edit steps is considered a desirable feature of Lr (by many), but I see your desire to automate the 'Before' edit state.

The keyboard shortcut is [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left Cursor] to make any selected history step the 'Before' state.

Just do this shortcut at the end of editing session 1, and this image look becomes the 'Before' image for session 2.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all the help. [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Left Cursor] works and allows the "before" to show me my correct starting point with all my previous changes.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other solution to "automate" the process of the history changes:

I found a work around during the export to check the box "add this to catalogue. Which creates a duplicate folder in the library with all the changes so the before/after works the way I want in round 2 of editing. This way I don't have to delete and re-add the library and risk losing my changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drawback is that you now have to store the edited version of your photos on your hard disk. Perhaps that's not a problem for you, it would be for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all your photos in Library and "Create Virtual Copies".  The BEFORE of a virtual copy is the state the editing was at when you created the virtual copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bob+Somrak  wrote

Select all your photos in Library and "Create Virtual Copies".  The BEFORE of a virtual copy is the state the editing was at when you created the virtual copy.

Why didn't I think of that?

This is far superior than exporting every edited photo and then importing the edited export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines