• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I use the rotation tool to rotate two layers around on pivot

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two layer is after effects. I press "w" for the rotation tool. I select the two layers. The two layer rotate on their individual pivots. I want to rotate the two objects from an average single pivot point. This is how almost all other adobe rotation tools work. When you select to layers and rotate, they rotate around on shared pivot. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

You can make one layer the parent of another layer, so when the parent rotates, the child layer will rotate with it too. You can move the pivot point (anchor point) of the layer to a place you want it (eg. double click and move it in the layer window).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make one layer the parent of another layer, so when the parent rotates, the child layer will rotate with it too. You can move the pivot point (anchor point) of the layer to a place you want it (eg. double click and move it in the layer window).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I don't think that method will work for me. each layer is actually an appendage (head, neck, arm, upper body, lower body) I don't want to parent layers like that. I just want to select multiple layers and rotate them together when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oluladitan  wrote

I don't think that method will work for me.

The solution you were given is pretty much the only solution there is.  If it wont work for then maybe you could explain WHY it wont work.  Move the pivot points to where the "appendage" would naturally rotate and then parent to the "appendage" that it would be naturally "parented".

If you take a look at your arm and move it around it's pretty obvious how it needs to be set up.

Can you bend your elbow without your hand following?

Can you rotate your shoulder without elbow following?

Can you bend over at the waist without your head following?

So your hand is parented to your forearm and rotates at the wrist.

Your forearm is parented to your upper arm & rotates at the elbow.

Your upper arm is parented to your torso & rotates at the shoulder.

&, drumroll please....your head is attached to your neck....etc., etc.

If this isn't making any sense to you then you should... ...do some research on 2D character rigging.  Even researching 3D character rigging will illustrate the same basic principle that you should be able to apply.

Move the pivot points to where natural rotation would occur and then parent to the appendage where natural attachment occurs.

If you still think this method wont work for you then maybe you can tell us what method will and then use that method.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome.  If you do wind up doing a little research on character rigging you should know there are two types. Forward Kinematics (FK)  & Inverse Kinematics (IK).  What I described is FK.   IK is not available in After Effects although there might be some 3rd party plug-ins that make it possible.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gutter-Fish  wrote

IK is not available in After Effects although there might be some 3rd party plug-ins that make it possible.

Like DUIK (free) and RubberHose (not free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines