• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A way to rotate a 3D layer about an elliptical path?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the "rotation" properties of a layer, it rotates it in a circular way. I want to rotate objects (image layers set as "3D") around an elliptical path. Basically this is for showing the solar system (with 2D images representing Earth, Mars, and all the other planets in the solar system) rotating with an elliptical path around the sun (with the planet images always facing the camera). Is there an easy/good way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Try using the position property instead.   Create a shape layer ellipse then copy paste the path onto the position of the 2d layer.

Then apply a loop in and loop out expression.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the position property instead.   Create a shape layer ellipse then copy paste the path onto the position of the 2d layer.

Then apply a loop in and loop out expression.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll see if I can do that. I've never used the loop expressions before. I'm checking out the various sites/tutorials etc. But it seems like your answer is the correct one (it would probably be easier if After Effects had a more direct way to rotate with elliptical paths - more like just clicking on the rotate and specifying the number of rotations - or alternatively the rotation speed). Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing the copying of the ellipse part onto the position for now. For now I'm doing it on an asteroid (to create an asteroid belt) - a 3D image layer.

Basically I've created a shape layer with an ellipse (not filled) - representing the orbit of the asteroid. I click on "Ellipse Path 1" and click "Edit->Copy" I then go to the asteroid image layer and click on its "position" property (under transform) and click "Paste" and nothing seems to happen to the asteroid image layer (no keyframes get created or anything). I've tried doing it with the shape layer set as a 2D and as a 3D layer. Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To copy paste you use ctrl+c, ctrl+v  on the properties themselves.  I made quick video.

Take this advice with a grain of salt & know there might be a more efficient way to achieve than this.

Also The "loop in" expression I applied didn't work & I am not certain why. (could be 'cause I didn't use a semicolon at the end of the line)

It didn't matter because for the "loop out" to work without a gap the first keyframe had to be at the start.

You should probably move the in points of the layers with the loop expressions to where you need them to start in the composition otherwise those expression will be evaluating the whole time even though they can't be seen.

Hope it all makes sense.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines