Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz

8 GB RAM

XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB DDR5

Photoshop CC 2017.0.1

My Photoshop started crashing each time I tried to open a file after reinstalling my OS. Previously I did not have any issues with Photoshop; the OS was reinstalled because after an attempt to upgrade to Win10 everything went buggy, even after trying Microsoft's "revert" to the old OS built-in solution.

When I go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and look in the Detected Graphics Processor section, it says "Unable to detect information".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my graphics card, and there are no other issues I can find with it, other than the issue with Photoshop we are discussing here.

I had a chat session with Adobe for this issue some time ago and the tech "unchecked" my "Use Graphics Processor" option in Preferences, and that fixed the issue with the crashing, but a lot of my functionality is gone now, including 3D, oil painting filter, etc..

I wonder if anyone has any answers for me on this, or what else I can try in my troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that this has worked before:

Try :

a. Downloading the very latest video driver - direct from the AMD website, as opposed to letting Windows update them,  and try that.

Download Drivers

if that does not work

b. Download a previous driver from the AMD website (there is a link to previous versions) - and pick a version from the time that your system worked

If b. gives you a working version - then you can step through the updates to get the latest that works for you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The driver trick does not work. I tried several methods on that already and nothing comes up. By the way, any other app recognizes the video card. I'm trying to stay away from reinstalling Photoshop as a troubleshooting step if I really don't need to, so that's why I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines