• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I publish straight from Excel or should I use Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

Some of my colleagues and me, we are working on an university project which requires doing an updated version of this document here: http://advocacy.ro/sites/advocacy.ro/files/files/publicatie/indrumar_randament_politic_electronic1.p... 

We do not know how the original authors created that first version, but we were thinking of using Microsoft Excel to gather our data for the tables and charts. There are options in Excel to use a pages view and we could do most of the work straight from inside Excel, and then export as a PDF.

My question is: should we just use Excel or should we use Indesign afterwards? How would you approach this? Are there advantages to importing the data from Excel into Indesign?

Thank you very much! 

Bogdan Mihai

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

This is an attractively laid out document. I doubt whether you could produce such a design using just Excel. You could easily produce this in InDesign and export it as a PDF for printing and circulating for on-screen viewing. But InDesign is a professional DTP application and you need the skills to be able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an attractively laid out document. I doubt whether you could produce such a design using just Excel. You could easily produce this in InDesign and export it as a PDF for printing and circulating for on-screen viewing. But InDesign is a professional DTP application and you need the skills to be able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Derek! I am pretty familiar with Indesign, but I'm not sure if it is really necessary to use it in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s like asking whether you should use a hammer or a saw. You’re going to need both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This document was made from eight PDFs and then put together with the Combine PDFs feature. If you can get hold of any of the original PDFs, you can look in Properties to see what program was used to create them. I don't know if this will help, since it's been a few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines