• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom does not notice ACR Camera Raw changes to DNG

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open DNG file in ACR and update it, lets say with new white balace, the light room does not show me a warning that meta data was changed.

Is there a way to get that warning back?  I can read new meta data and it works fine butt warning is missing.

Also, when I work on files in DNG in Lightroom , the Lightroom does not always save the metadata to DNG so Bridge can see the updates right away.

It seems like if there is too many changes within 1 minute Lightroom does not write to file and does not update the meta data.

If some time passes then Lightroom will update the meta data, but before that only catalog contains the changes, so if catolog would get corrupted changes would be lost. To overcome this I must force meta changes with command+S on the mac.  Is this normal or meta data should be updated immediately after new adjustment is performed?

I am experimenting between bridge and Lightroom so this is why i asked above questions.

Until i decide my workflow i want to make sure that metadata is nicely updated between two.

thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

blwegrzyn  wrote

Again , my question is why Lightroom does not write changes to dig right away.

Sometimes it does sometimes it does not, depending on the change and time when the change was made.

Also, why Lightroom does not notice the file (metadata( was modified outside its own interface.

The metadata update detection and 'Automatically write changes into XMP' is a background operation. I've found there can be a considerable delay in both detecting external metadata changes and writing XMP metadat

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preferences dialog there is a button to reset all warning dialogs. Click that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried that and although file was changed and shows different timestamp Lightroom does not notice changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside Adobe Bridge go to Edit> Camera Raw Preferences and set as below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is already setup to use sidecars but because i am using DNG side cards won't be used even if selected.

Edit: there is an option to enforce sidecars for dog but that would defeat the purpose of using the DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that option checked the edits get written to the DNG file. It doesn't defeat the purpose or use of DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just though you wanted me to enforce side cards in separate file.

I think for some reason Lightroom does not recognize that there was an update cause if i read metadata it updates just fine.

My acr is setup as below.

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 6.47.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom by default reads and writes to the Catalog file. You can select the option in Lightroom Preferences > Catalog settings to "Automatically write to xmp".

Seee the screen capture. Also you need to be aware that Lightroom is designed as a complete stand alone application and does not use ACR Plugin for Photoshop. Each LR version has its own equivalent raw conversion engine as ACR Plugin. e.g LR 6.9 has the equivalent of ACR 9.9

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 6.12.57 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have this setup.

Sometimes it does sometimes it does not, depending on the change and time when the change was made.

Also, why Lightroom does not notice the file (metadata( was modified outside its own interface.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.09.45 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK when you make changes outside of Lightroom to .xmp these changes are not updated in Lightroom. You should be getting a mismatch warning when you visit the image files in Lightroom and offering you the option to update the info from the .xmp file or retain Lightroom's default info in the Catalog.

As I said in my earlier post while working with Lightroom the default is to write to the Catalog File. The write to .xmp is a background function and does not happen immediately.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

blwegrzyn  wrote

The metadata update detection and 'Automatically write changes into XMP' is a background operation. I've found there can be a considerable delay in both detecting external metadata changes and writing XMP metadata with 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked. This is especially true if you've used 'Sync' or Copy & Paste to apply Develop settings across a large number of files.  The only workaround I know of ( and use) is to manually synchronize the XMP data:

1) After making edits to a DNG file in LR go to menu Photo> 'Update DNG Preview & Metadata.'

2) After making further edits to the same DNG file in ACR go to LR menu Photo> Read Metadata from file.'

If you've edited multiple DNG files inside LR you can quickly update their XMP metadata by switching to the Library module Grid view, select the edited files, and use menu Metadata> 'Update DNG Preview & Metadata.' This forces an immediate update of the XMP data in the selected DNG files.

You can also right-click on the containing folder and select 'Synchronize Folder.' This is useful after editing a number of files with Bridge/ACR. Just be aware that this will over-write all of the LR Develop settings, Keywords, etc. that haven't been previously written to XMP data from inside LR. You can choose not to import new photos that may be in the folder by unchecking 'Import new photos.'

The devil is in the details of "when and how" to manually synchronize XMP data when editing in both LR and ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines