• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign: export epub with alternate layout

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i created a document with liquid layout based on "Mastro" for (example) ipad. Then i created an alternate layout for (ex.) iPhone 6. All seems correct. However when i export tin epub, the epub file has the contents of both layouts. So i have the same content twice. Can anyone help me? ... or maybe i did not understand "alternate layout".

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Bob is correct.

Alternative layouts were designed for a since discontinued way of creating apps for tablets and smartphones called Digital Publishing System from Adobe. It can still be used for its successor, Adobe Experience Manager Mobile, which is too expensive for all but the largest publishers and corporations to use, and by third party software.

EPUB is either reflowable or fixed layout. Reflowable EPUB doesn't match the InDesign layout, and is designed for projects like novels which are a s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternate layouts are not intended to be used in EPUB.

I have no idea what Mastro means. These alternate layouts were originally intended for digital publishing through DPS but IMO never worked properly.

Stick with one layout for EPUB. If you have further questions it would be best to inform us of the version of InDesign you're using, the operating system, the type and version of EPUB and the EPUB reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"mastro" is the page used by all the other pages (master page?).

Anyway, "alternate layouts are not intended to be used in EPUB"? And those plethora of pages, videos, tutorials that learn to how to use "alternate layout" with ipad, iphone, galaxi ecc.? Maybe we do not mean the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is correct.

Alternative layouts were designed for a since discontinued way of creating apps for tablets and smartphones called Digital Publishing System from Adobe. It can still be used for its successor, Adobe Experience Manager Mobile, which is too expensive for all but the largest publishers and corporations to use, and by third party software.

EPUB is either reflowable or fixed layout. Reflowable EPUB doesn't match the InDesign layout, and is designed for projects like novels which are a single stream of text with few images. In an EPUB reader, the reader can change the size of the type and the font, typically.

Fixed Layout EPUB is more like interactive PDF and can be any size. It reflects the layout dimensions, type size, and appearance of the original layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I'm sure that is correct.

I tried to do what is explained at this url: Liquid and alternate layouts in InDesign . Reading that tutorial all seems very simple, even if it says nothing about epub export or publication.

In fact i try to export and there is something that doesn't work (or plausible alternative: i'm stupid).

I have a simple text like this (look at the image):

indesign1.jpg

Now according the previous tutorial (Liquid and alternate layouts in InDesign ) i had a new alternative layout.

indesign2.jpg

Ok?

Note that the last sentence of the document is "L’ente può rinunciare all’amnistia."

Now i export the epub and in all device we have this

indesign3.jpg

The contents of the second layout (ipad H) is added to the first one (ipad portrait).

I thought that the layouts were showed according the device (ipad, iphone, galaxi, and so on) and its orientation (portrait or landscape).

I'm afraid that i was wrong.

I'm not in USA, now i go to dine. See you tomorrow..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more time...forget about alternate layouts for any kind of EPUB and it looks like this is going to be reflowable. Just use the original layout.

Enjoy your dinner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok. Thanks to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines