• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Additional Metadata button doesn't come up - how do I edit metadata?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat 9.0. I think it should allow me to edit the metadata in a document, which I've never done. I work on a PC.

I go to File, Properties, Description, and everything is there except that Additional Metadata box that everything online shows is supposed to be there. If I look at the Security Tab, it says there is No Security on the follow, but the Show Details box is grayed out. There's nowhere to click to add security if I wanted to do that. Below, it says everything is allowed except for Page Extraction and Document Assembly. This is on a simple test PDF that I created myself, so I know someone didn't put security on it. I also have an older set of instructions that shows an Initial View tab, but my software doesn't even have that tab.

How can I add metadata? Where has the button gone? Anyone familiar with how to do that in Adobe Acrobat 9.0?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I purchased the software. That makes me think I have Adobe Acrobat because the reader is free. That said, when I open PDFs and put comments or edits in them, the name on the program is Adobe Reader XI. That's also the name of the program that shows in the Programs list as well.

Hate to be so ignorant on this, but if I bought the software and installed it (a year ago so I could make PDFs with fillable fields in forms), then I should have more than just the Reader, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you have both installed, but have been opening up Reader lately, and not Acrobat. Click on the Start menu in Windows (or in the box to the right in Win10), and type in Adobe Acrobat. Does it pop up in the list? If so, click it to open.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you relocate and launch Acrobat, the Additional Metadata button will be exactly where you described it:

VMware Fusionss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which versions numbers are we talking about here?

I have noticed that while the Additional Metadata button is not visible within Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (17.009.20044) and Adobe Reader 11.0.20 (both non paid versions), it does show up with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 15.006.30306 and correctly lists all metadata included in the PDF file.

Furthermore, there is a difference in the Document Restrictions summary in the Security tab of the Document Properties window. In the standard (non paid) versions, "Document Assembly" and "Page Extraction" are not allowed, while they are in the Pro (paid) version. The PDF contains no security however and this is reflected in the "Security Method", which is set to "No security" in all versions of the reader.

So why do the non-paid versions report different restrictions and hide some of the additional metadata compared to the paid version, if the PDF file is the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cfq20  wrote

I have noticed that while the Additional Metadata button is not visible within Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (17.009.20044) and Adobe Reader 11.0.20 (both non paid versions), it does show up with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 15.006.30306 and correctly lists all metadata included in the PDF file.

This is correct.

cfq20  wrote

Furthermore, there is a difference in the Document Restrictions summary in the Security tab of the Document Properties window. In the standard (non paid) versions, "Document Assembly" and "Page Extraction" are not allowed, while they are in the Pro (paid) version. The PDF contains no security however and this is reflected in the "Security Method", which is set to "No security" in all versions of the reader.

So why do the non-paid versions report different restrictions and hide some of the additional metadata compared to the paid version, if the PDF file is the same?

Acrobat Reader can't assemble documents or extract pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bernd.

I thought the different document restrictions might be somehow related to the fact the "Additional Metadata" button was hidden in the non-paid versions, since I cannot think of a reason why such information should not be read from the PDF by the readers.

So if the non-paid versions do not show this button by design, is there any other way of showing metadata relating e.g. to Copyright licensing by someone who does not have access to the paid Adobe Acrobat Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can create a plugin for Acrobat Reader or look for another software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines