• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weekend project: help recreating a graphic in PS or AI

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been given the project of recreating the image or or design shown below to use for 200 T-shirts in 3 different colors and sizes. I have no idea what Adobe software that would be better to use (Photo Shop, Illustrator) or how to even begin making this so that it is the right size, much less make the graphic itself. Should I put text on the T-shirt separate and then put the balloon graphic on (that I can hopefully make) separate or should I have this all in one graphic?  I have no idea how I am even supposed to tell what the full dimensions for the graphic that will be put on the t-shirt. I have to have a printable graphic by Monday. Help

mary new bday design.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be inclined to do it in Illustrator rather than Photoshop. That way your size doesn't matter as it can be resized to any size your printer needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learn to work with Layers.  Al text, balloons, strings, etc... should be on separate layers so you can control their placement, rotation and stacking order.   Example, the pink balloon is behind the top most blue balloon.  The yellow balloon is in front of lower blue & green balloons.   You don't have control over individual elements if they are all on a single layer.  

Contact the printer who will be producing the T-shifts for specs. 

Doing this all by Monday with no prior experience in textile design is a mighty tall order.

Good luck!

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell that to my boss who thinks anything like this can be done in a weekend. Thanks for your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what tools would I use in Illustrator to make each of these elements? I tried to do a font search by going down the line to get the proper font with the font selections but I don't know what it would be. Also, how would I make the th text. Should I make that a separate layer from the 15?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to learn Illustrator basics and tool fundamentals.  This goes beyond the scope of a public web forum.   It takes practice, practice, practice to master design tools like PS and AI.

Like I said before, use separate Layers for everything.  Only then will you have complete control over each element.  Don't be surprised when they ask for revisions.  Nobody produces exactly what the client/boss wants in the first draft.  It may get tossed back to you 2, 3 or more times for changes.   Keeping elements on separate layers will allow you to make rapid changes without starting from scratch.

Unsure which font to use?

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

DaFont - Download fonts

Typekit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your boss want the shirt exactly like this one? Are you allowed to use different fonts and graphics? I am hoping you have some creative liberties while designing this.

Are you new to Illustrator or Photoshop? If you are new, you should do some Adobe tutorials teaching you how to use these programs. Here is a link to get you started. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/tutorials.html They have some project-based tutorials that will help you get familiar with the tools and the navigation of the program.

Here are a few Typekit tutorials: https://helpx.adobe.com/typekit/using/add-fonts-website.html

Here is one directly relating to Typekit with Illustrator: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/typekit-integration-in-illustrator.html

My usual workflow with a project like this is:

I usually have all like elements grouped in different layers.

I would have the balloons in one layer titled graphics or balloons.

Another text layer for the Happy Birthday and the 15th.

Another for the Birthday and the 15th.

Another one for the 15th.

This way you can manipulate items individually on each layer.

I know you have a short time frame, but this information and short tutorials should help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi happie_97 I do have to make the image just like it is because the client gave me that specific image that they want the tshirt design to be. I am not that new to Photoshop but just learning Illustrator. Can you give me some idea how to make those balloons? I don't have an idea what tools to use in Illustrator. Is there a marquee tool in Illustrator like there is in Photo Shop? If so, what is it? If not, what do I use to draw a selection around what I want to select on my layer/s? Thanks for your detailed response and if you can't help with the above questions I understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you posted your questions in the Adobe Illustrator Forum yet?

Illustrator

Illustrator Tools:

How to work with tools in Illustrator

Remember, Illustrator is a vector graphics application.   If you want to produce quality artwork, you'll need to produce it yourself from scratch.  

Can you draw?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can draw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a 15 minute job, even in Photoshop.

Make a elliptical shape layer

Select the Pen tool, and hold down the Ctrl (Cmd) key while dragging across the lower point to select it, and Alt (Opt) click that point

Select that point again, and drag it down to make it more like a balloon shape.

Use the Pen tool set to Shape with white as the fill collour, and on a new work path make a rectangle with concave sides

Select the brush tool, and load and select one of the Calligraphy brush presets.  They don't have any size jitter as standard, so change size jitter to Pen Pressure (if you have a tablet)

On a new layer, make a nice ribbon effect brush stroke.  Lazy Nezumi Pro is helpful if you have it, using one of its sine wave presets. Black is OK as the colour.  You can change the colour by locking the layer's opacity, and using Alt backspace with your colour of choice.

Free Transform the ribbon layer to align with the balloon. Select all three layers and make them a Smart Object.

OK, you have your balloon master, and it vector other than the ribbon.  If you want that to be vector as well, make a path and stroke it with the calligraphy brush.  Maybe with Simulate Pressure turned on.  Change the colour as above.  Note, that once you stroke the path it becomes raster, so resize to the final output size and re-stroke.  You can Free Transform work paths.

It is important that you copy the Smart Object using New Smart Object via Copy.  This will let you edit them independently.

So make your copies and arrange them resizing if required.  Then double click each SO in turn to open in a new window, and change colours, more the highlight etc.  Add some more ribbon layers.  Add the text. Job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor can you look at this so far and tell me if I am doing this right? I did make the path for the ribbon using the pen tool as shown below but I don't seem to be able to give it the stroke with Calligraphy. I am a bit confused because you just stroked with the Calligraphy brush in one part of your instructions but then you say if I want to make the ribbon a vector I need to make a path with the pen tool and stroke it with the Calligraphy brush.

OK, you have your balloon master, and it vector other than the ribbon.  If you want that to be vector as well, make a path and stroke it with the calligraphy brush.  Maybe with Simulate Pressure turned on.  Change the colour as above.  Note, that once you stroke the path it becomes raster, so resize to the final output size and re-stroke.  You can Free Transform work paths.

Am I also supposed to save the layers as a Smart Object before or after I make the path for the ribbon and use the stroke with the Calligraphy brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to keep it vector as much as you can.  We can't see your entire layers panel (it is always a good idea to have visible in a screen shot, even if you need to undock it and drag into the image area.  You can easily reset the workspace to return things to normal).  But we can see a red shape layer, and another shape layer above it, which suggests you have it right.  Your string layer is best placed beneath the balloon layer in the layer stack, so that the top is hidden and the flow uninterrupted.

But your balloon is a decent shape.  Hey, why not spruce it up a bit with some layer styles?  While the effects are raster, they will scale with the shape layers, and Smart Object so no problem.

Actually, I'm not so sure that works with the highlight, and if these are for printing t-shirts, that gradient wouldn't print well anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said I need to keep it vector as much as possible. How do I do that?

Here is the whole screen and you can see layers now. I have the path for the ribbon but have not been able to stroke it with Calligraphy because it won't let me. I set it for that but when I go to stroke with Calligraphy my cursor turns in a circle with a line crossed diagonally in the center.

So my balloon should be more of a balloon shape? I know it's kind of mishapen. How can I work on making duplicate balloons with different colors and different colored ribbons if my layers are turned into a smart object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I originally demonstrated, the ribbon would be raster, but there is always another way. 

Drag out a tall, thin, rectangle shape layer.  Colour is not important, but black works well as a starter.

Use Free Transform, and click on the Warp icon (green highlight).

Then use the drop down on the left of the options bar, and choose the Flag preset (cyan highlight). You'll need to change the direction (red highlight)

Select the three layers and make a Smart Object

The SO is your master, so you need to make some copies, but it is important that you do this using New Smart Object via Copy.  This is so you can edit each one independently.  If you just copy the SO then editing one would cause all of the copies to have the same edit.

So here are a bunch of copies.  They are all still red, but I have renamed them ready to edit

Double clicking a Smart Object opens it in a new window, like below.  You need to select the balloon layer, and any of the Shape layers. You can then change the colour.  Save this (Ctrl s or Cmd s) and close it (Ctrl F4)

Repeat for the other balloons.  You might want to edit the position of the white highlight for variety.  You might want to colour the ribbons.

Rearrange, and resize as required.  You can resize them all at the same time to get to a starting position.

What I have done bellow is drag one of the ribbons from one of the balloons back to the master document, and copied a few times. I also flipped and resized some of them.  You can see I didn't change the highlights. It seems to me that the light will be coming from the same direction for every balloon though.  I am sure you know that the layer order controls what hides what.

Are you OK with the rest of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A final point when done, although I am not sure what the final use of the document is?  If print, resize the print size — you might as well use 300dpi.  And save as PDF using High Quality Print preset.  Leave all layers intact.  Don't flatten any of it.

If it is for special use like printed t-shirts, then ask the printer what they need.  If they need CMYK, I personally let my printer do the conversion, but I know he is an expert with a lifetime of experience.  I wouldn't be so sure about t-shirt printers.

If for web, then all that effort to keep it vector was a waste.   There's no point in us guessing.  What is the final use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Trevor I don't know how to do the rest. I am still new at this and I keep having projects fall into my lap that my boss wants our shop to be able to succeed in making for customers that ask us so I am the person that has to try and figure out how to make these various ideas come to fruition. The final use is going to be to print onto t-shirts and we are taking the image and using a heat press to put it on. I don't have a person who is printing it. I am the one who has to make it print ready.

I also would like to know how I turn the path that you show here into the stroke that you used under the Calligraphic brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know how to do the rest. I am still new at this and I keep having projects fall into my lap that my boss wants our shop to be able to succeed in making for customers that ask us so I am the person that has to try and figure out how to make these various ideas come to fruition.

I love all of the help you have gotten from Trevor and the rest of the gang. Look how far you have come!

As a career trainer watching this thread over the past 10 days, I can't help noting that if your office wants you to be the point person, than perhaps it is time to schedule some training. You might attend a Lynda.com Essentials class, or find a local training company or a outfit that offers online training. These applications are very powerful and taking the time to learn the fundamentals will go a long way in shaping you to be the person who can figure out how to bring new ideas to fruition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I totally understand that. Trevor posted great Photoshop tutorials using the pen tool. The Illustrator forum has lots of information and experts in there.

Illustrator has a lot of drawing and shape tools. I am afraid there is a bit of a learning curve with it. I would show you a screenahot of how but I'm am not at home nor on my computer right now. I will check the forum later to see where you are.

Meanwhile, the tutorial that Trevor posted is great. You can also start in Photoshop and finish in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everyone's post here.

When I design shirts, I use Illustrator. I always work with my printer to determine the size. There are also online templates that are in the Illustrator format that are setup for different sizes. You can do a simple Google search to find those links.

This is a lot of work with a short deadline. Especially, since you don't have a lot of experience with this.

I wish you the best of luck with this weekend project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances of you learning Illustrator enough to be able to do this in one weekend is unrealistic. You may be best off just checking Stock image sites like Adobe Stock and licensing an image that is close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+Lawryk  wrote

Chances of you learning Illustrator enough to be able to do this in one weekend is unrealistic. You may be best off just checking Stock image sites like Adobe Stock and licensing an image that is close.

I think that's an excellent suggestion .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines