• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop video editing / audio tracks

Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have put a video together with clips furnished by my client and want to keep the 'nat sound' on some clips and mute it for music or voice over on others. I'm certain there's a way to do this, but it has escaped me thus far. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

New video features in Adobe Photoshop CC, CS6

Audio editing in Photoshop!Thats how to do it

But I would suggest if you want to do advance video editing you should look at Adobe's video editing products Premier Pro and After Effects. I would think if Adobe has support for what you want to do it would be in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New video features in Adobe Photoshop CC, CS6

Audio editing in Photoshop!Thats how to do it

But I would suggest if you want to do advance video editing you should look at Adobe's video editing products Premier Pro and After Effects. I would think if Adobe has support for what you want to do it would be in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can do this.

Right click on the video track and in the box that opens click on the musical note symbol . You can adjust/mute audio from there.

To add new audio click the down arrow in timeline where it says audio track and choose "Add Audio" or New Audio track as required

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I must be doing something wrong. When I right click on the video clip, I get a dialog box that says "motion" with a drop down that shows only motion options. 1581-second.jpg

The 1581-second track has audio.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check in the layers panel.

Is this an actual video clip or a smart object containing the clip (look at the symbol on the thumbnail in the layers panel)

Video:

Smart object :

If it is a smart object you will need to double click on it. It will open as a psb document with its own timeline where you can right click the actual clip and do as posted previously.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing video with Photoshop is a horribly frustrating experience, and I strongly suspect that even Premiere Elements would provide a far more flexible and satisfying video editing experience.  At one time I remember Photoshop Elements, and Premier Elements being bundled together for a song.  I see the bundle is still available, but at about $200 (depending on what nation's dollars you would be using). 

y experience over the years is that where you can mostly make do with older versions of Photoshop, that is not so much the case with video, and you might need to update to have the CODEC you need, although you might be able to convert back to a more compatible CODEC with Handbrake.

Adding to Dave's advice, if you want to proceed with Photoshop, after placing the video track, select the audio track drop-down and choose add media, and add the same video track again.  This place just the audio in that track.

Right click the video track, click on the audio icon, and move the volume all the way to zero.

You can now control the audio via the second track you loaded.

Place the time indicator where you need it, make sure the audio track is selected, and click on the scissors icon to cut the track.

You can now control the level independently either side of the cut, and/or fade in and/or out as Dave showed you back up the track.

The difference between the above workflow and Premiere Pro is astonishing. I can't even begin to describe it because I wouldn't know where to start, and what to include and leave out.  I have never used Premiere Elements, but I have a feeling it would be more than enough for the amateur  video editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Editing video with Photoshop is a horribly frustrating experience....................

Yes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.   I tend to keep Photoshop video editing to very short frame animations / video clips.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines