• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't drag clips around in Timeline!! Help!!

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I've been on premiere for about 7 months now, fluent in Avid and FCP. For some reason, starting today, I can't seem to drag clips around in a project like I could before (and can easily do in every other program). I can't even drag a clip from the Source monitor straight onto the timeline. I can insert and overwrite, I can select the clip once it is on the timeline, but I can't drag and move it. Anyone else having this issue??

Working on iMac 5k 2015, Premiere CC 9.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Alright, for those who care and potentially run into the same issue I did, it has something to do with having multiple monitors. The quick fix (which was not quick in figuring out) is to drag your timeline onto your main monitor, in this case my iMac 5k display. Then, magically, everything is fine. Drag it back over on your second monitor and you should be able to drag/drop/manipulate clips.

This might have been an article for purely me, but ya never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, for those who care and potentially run into the same issue I did, it has something to do with having multiple monitors. The quick fix (which was not quick in figuring out) is to drag your timeline onto your main monitor, in this case my iMac 5k display. Then, magically, everything is fine. Drag it back over on your second monitor and you should be able to drag/drop/manipulate clips.

This might have been an article for purely me, but ya never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just saved me hours of my life, thanks for posting. Cruel bug, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, finally a solution to a very strange bug. I'm using Premiere for years on a double monitor setup, current version is Premiere Pro 6.0.5. and suddenly I couldn't drag my clips into the timeline and when I did manage to get them in the timeline, in some very weird place, I couldn't move them. I googled, reinstalled Premiere, cleared al my files and settings, nothing worked. Until I suddenly found this. Problem solved. THANK YOU. I would love to hear an explanation from ADOBE, and a 'sorry' would be nice as well. But I guess I can wait a long time for that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Premiere Pro 6.0.5. and suddenly I couldn't drag my clips into the timeline and when I did manage to get them in the timeline, in some very weird place, I couldn't move them. I googled, reinstalled Premiere, cleared al my files and settings, nothing worked. Until I suddenly found this. Problem solved. THANK YOU. I would love to hear an explanation from ADOBE, and a 'sorry' would be nice as well. But I guess I can wait a long time for that.."

Here is my explanation to you!

PPRO 6.05 is so old... I cant even say how old!

How many updates has your O.S and your drivers had in that time? 

Why do you  think that a " suddenly "  issue had anything to do with Adobe?

I dont think Adobe owes you any apology at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes no sense at all but it completely worked for me.   Also, what I discovered (through angrily mousing around when I couldn't move clips in or to the timeline) is that I was able to move clips if I selected them and then dragged straight up to the top of the next track up.  I would then have control of the clip one track below to move and arrange as normal.  Eventually, I realized I could edit this way by selecting clips directly from the track above them.   Bassackwards, but it got me through a couple days' editing until I found this great fix. 

What's weird is that my timeline ALWAYS lives on my main monitor, but moving the adobe window cluster to the 2nd monitor and back still did the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this.  First time I've ever run into the problem.  After restarting and it still happening, it was a relief to know that it was a simple fix like this.  Weird.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh this was an annoying problem, Thank you for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED! Hours of updates, restarts, re-installs, late client delivery as a result. What an odd way to end that worm hole! Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are an absolute life saver!!!!!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jonathan. This bug was driving me crazy. At last a solution. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Crap. Everything works now. Out of all the forums and methods being suggested, something so simple fixed these issues... smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this fixed our issue too.

Premiere is bad.

So bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fix is to just grab the main interface and wiggle it a few pixes after launch. Fixes it right up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2017 and had the same problem described using 2 monitors.  Thank you for the quick, simple fix and why hasn't Adobe fixed this by now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LeftyCutter,

Thank you for the quick, simple fix and why hasn't Adobe fixed this by now?

Please file a bug here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been driving me crazy ! PPCC 2017 with dual monitors.

A big thanks for posting the fix. It would've been an age, if at all, that I would accidentally come across that solution. My timeline never lives on my MAIN monitor.

Cheers heaps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello DasSpook,

Please file a bug report here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan you are a genius!  Much Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, dragging to another monitor fixed it!  THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Premiere CC 2017 and I'm only using one screen on my lap top; however, I have the same issue.

Thanks for any help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same here with my laptop and one screen I have just had this issue starting today. Can anybody help as far as fixing this bug without 2 monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to move all panels onto the primary monitor then go back to your multi screen layout and should work again.

Rosanna Gamson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines