• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

many catalogs same pictures. can I delete all but one?

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through my catalogs and realised I had several catalogs from the last few year with the same pictures . I guess it happened after joining creative cloud.

My question is: can I safely delete the older catalogs with belonging preview data and just keep my newest catalog and its preview data without loosing informations from editing. Asked in an other way does all file editing done in earlier catalogs follow the new catalog as long as the picture file is in the newest catalog?

I want to make space on the hard drive. Each catalog is around 1 gb

Thanks ulrik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do so. But take care, and back everything up first, just in case.

Editing done in a catalogue stays in that catalogue - though there are ways to move edits from one to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. This means I should not delete old catalogs. Have you got links to who I can let the latest catalog inherit edits from the older ones?

Thanks Ulriik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to choose the option to import from another catalog. The instructions on how to do this are in the Lightroom help file. Here is a link to the appropriate section:

How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto in Li...

Importing from another Lightroom catalog is explained in the second section, so you will have to scroll down a ways to find that section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. Very helpfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. I suggest that you make sure you have a backup of your main catalog as it is now before you start importing from other catalogs. If things don't combine just the way you want them then you could always revert to what you are accustomed to using now. Importing from another catalog does not do anything to those other catalogs. So you will still have everything intact if you find it necessary to restore a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much of this will depend on how and why the "newer" catalogs were created.

When you upgrade between major versions, say LR 5 to LR6, your old LR5 catalog gets migrated to a new LR6 catalog. Assuming you never use LR5 again, you can easily delete the old LR5 catalog and its preview folders.

If you are manually creating new catalogs on your own, then you do need to figure out what is where and if merging the catalogs is what you need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Maniac Thanks this make sense and a lot easier for me to know which one to delete without loosing edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines