• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help, can't seem to understand how bleeds and margins work for this newsletter?

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Let me just begin by saying I'm only a second year graphic design student, so please bear with me if this is a dumb question... lol

Our teacher gave us a newsletter assignment and I'm really confused, so any help would be greatly appreciated

The blank page without any content is supposed to look like this:

help.png

The margins are...

Top: 1.15 in

Inside: 0.9 in

Bottom: 1.65 in

Outside: 1.4 in

Then the professor said that because the pages are 18 by 12 inches (9 in by 12 in folded and stapled), that the document requires no bleed. Does anyone know why she would recommend that? I had trouble understanding when she explained it, especially since most of my images need to bleed off the page.

Also, for the columns, I would keep all my content inside the columns, correct? Are the columns the only safe zone? My cover page bleeds outside of it and I'm concerned about content being cut off when it prints.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer. I really appreciate it

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

sofiat96053576  wrote

Our teacher gave us a newsletter assignment and I'm really confused, so any help would be greatly appreciated

The margins are...Top: 1.15 in | Inside: 0.9 in | Bottom: 1.65 in | Outside: 1.4 in

Then the professor said that because the pages are 18 by 12 inches (9 in by 12 in folded and stapled),

that the document requires no bleed. Does anyone know why she would recommend that?

Yes, as Steve said, ask her intent.

Those page sizes worry me just a bit, as they are a half an inch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach college and adult classes in InDesign. I'd recommend asking your professor what her intent was.

To clarify a few things: Creating a bleed for artwork which goes to the trim of a page in commercial printing is standard. The reason it's usually needed is that pages are often printed on larger pieces of paper and must be trimmed. Since this is a mechanical process, sometimes the trim is not accurate, leaving a white gap at the edge of the artwork. Yes, you will lose the content outside of the trim. That's the way it works.

It's not necessary to keep all content inside page margins, although usually most content is. For example, page numbers are often printed outside of those margins. Column guides can sometimes be ignored. They're only to help align most text which will be set in columns.

Bottom line is...ask your teacher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Steve's excellent advice, note as described by yourself the layout would consist of two 2 facing pages - the first spread (the outer pages) would be pages 4 and 1 and the inner pair would be pages 2 and 3.

Any images that bled would be on the outer edges and there would be no bleed in the centre.

In your layout the text would fit into the two columns with maybe a main heading going across 2 columns and possoble images bleeding. Have a look at a selection of magazines to see how they're laid out to get some inspiration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sofiat96053576  wrote

The margins are...Top: 1.15 in | Inside: 0.9 in | Bottom: 1.65 in | Outside: 1.4 in

Then the professor said that because the pages are 18 by 12 inches (9 in by 12 in folded and stapled),

that the document requires no bleed. Does anyone know why she would recommend that?

Yes, as Steve said, ask her intent.

Those page sizes worry me just a bit, as they are a half an inch larger than standard on all four sides. Ask her what size paper she expects it to print to. If she says 8.5" x 11" and she plans to use the extra width for the bleed, please report back here.

And remember that what is right for a professor in order to get a passing grade does not necessarily make it right in the real world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines