Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimizing my system for Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tried to find some helpful information about this topic by myself, but there's so much to find that I kind of got lost in all this information.

So here's the case: I like Illustrating things in Adobe Illustrator and apply a finishing touch in Adobe Photoshop. I also like photography and from time to time I use Lightroom to edit some RAW images, but Illustrator is the program I use the most. By far.

This works nicely, but I have a few problems. First, when I have placed a lot of brush strokes in Adobe Illustrator in a single layer, it tends to get slow. The more brush strokes, the slower it gets. This is especially a problem when illustrating hair, for example. The zooming gets slower as well. As soon as I start editing in another layer it's fine again. Also, when editing big files in Photoshop it tends to get slower.

So I want to optimize my Illustrator experience. These are my current specs:

Motherboard:  MSI H97M-G43

Processor:  Intel Core i5 4690

RAM: 16GB

Power supply: Seasonic S12II 430 Watt

256GB SSD

1TB HDD

As you can see, I don't have a graphics card. I was looking into purchasing one, but I have no idea which one would be overkill and which one would suit my system. Also, I am kind of on a budget. So I was looking into buying a second hand graphics card like a GTX 760 or GTX N750Ti. Would that be better? Or should I upgrade my RAM to 32GB first, or maybe do both? My budget is about €200, but the less the better.

I do not game and only do 2D editing. I am not planning on doing anything 3D in the near future. I am also not in video editing, except from the occasional holiday video which right now is going fine. All my Photoshop/Illustrator files are, while editing, stored on the SSD.

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go for the GTX 760 and see how that goes.  Then add memory if you can afford to do it.

See here:

System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

and here:

Improve Illustrator performance on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines