• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPGs want to be saved as PSDs

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to CC2017 whenever I save a loaded JPG it wants to save as a PSD. Strangely, it is not every pic, 50% want to save as JPGs and 50% as PSDs. Never had this problem before. Even if I have just saved a doc as a JPG and then save again after some editing it wants to be saved as a PSD.

This happens whether it is only 1 pic loaded or a dozen.

Quick save option (I think that is what it was called) is set to JPGs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Turn on the option to 'Delete Cropped Pixels' in the option bar. This should leave the image flattened so you can save it directly back to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that your image is not flattened, meaning the background layer is no longer a background? That would cause Photoshop to want to save it as a PSD.

I have to wonder why you would be saving as JPGs though, especially for anything that is a work in progress. Jpeg is lossy. Every time you save the file, you throw away information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you choosing Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT) for "Save as type" and then saving your file ?

If not this,

Could you please try this :-

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes an operation will convert a Background Layer into a Floating Layer (Layer 0) in the Layers Panel.

A document with a floating layer can only be saved as a PSD.

So look at the Layers Panel. If you see Layer  0, go to the layers panel menu and choose "Flatten Image" to make it into a Background Layer and be able to save it as a jpeg.

Another check is the Color Mode. RGB/8 or CMYK/8 files can be saved as jpegs, but not Lab or 32 bit files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PeteKin,

You may try and reset the Photoshop preferences back to default and check if that helps.

Preferences in Photoshop

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all. Bit more info:

If I resize a pic - no probs saving, it is always offered as JPG.

If I corp a pic - probs, it is offered as a PSD. Weirdly it goes from a single layer (layer 0) with no 'Flatten image' available before the crop to single layer (layer 0) with flatten image available. All I have done is crop the pic! Not sure how only one layer can be flattened, but flattening the pic gives JPG offered as default.

Never had this occur in the years of using PShop, and would definitely like it to stop.

I don't want to revert to default prefs if avoidable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on the option to 'Delete Cropped Pixels' in the option bar. This should leave the image flattened so you can save it directly back to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Theresa, that seems to work. You are indeed a genius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy to forget what setting you or others using your PC or Mac made to a certain tool.

Anytime a tool does not act as expected, right-click on the icon in the top Options bar and click on Reset.

In the case of the Crop Tool, delete pixels in checked on by default.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 5.32.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines