• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating transparent Text

Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Elements, it is possible to set the color of the text tool to 50% gray.  When it is used with a copyright, it is possible to make it truly a "watermark".  By setting a bevel style to the text, it allows the image, on which it is placed, to show through the text.

I can't find this option on Photoshop CC.  Where is it?

Mary Lou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Hi Mary Lou

Sorry for the delayed reply - I am in the UK and sleep always gets in the way

As you have found there are often several ways to approach the issue.

If you right click the layer and choose blending options then tick bevel & emboss  - to get the menu as I showed you have to click on the words bevel & emboss. Just ticking it turns it on and off but doesn't show the options. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Yes if you want I different transparency effect you can reduce fill to 0% or use a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text in Photoshop is on a layer.

In the layers panel highlight that layer and set the layer fill to 50%

Then right click on the layer and choose blending options. There you will see a menu for creating bevel and emboss

Tick the word bevel then click on the word and you will see the adjustment options for it

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed your clear instructions.  However, when I right/click on the text layer and choose blending options, and choose bevel I don't get the option for structure in the Blending Options.

Also, when I create the text layer with 50% grey layer fill, I don't get the same transparency as I get with creating 50% gray text in Elements.  Your method leaves a gray color for the text (even when the opacity is lowered).

Can you clarify?

Mary Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Photoshop friend has submitted these directions to me via email.  They get actual 50% gray for the text color.

To get 50% gray, the color swatch panel can be made visible in the right hand panel area by going to the WINDOW menu and making sure that there is a check mark by SWATCHES.

The swatch name will appear when you hover the eyedropper over a swatch.

In the default set, 50% gray is just to the right of the 2nd red swatch (CYMK red).

Mary Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back over the process again.  When I remembered to change the blend mode to overlay, both methods worked!

Now we know that there is more than one way to get a job done in Photoshop!

Thanks.

Mary Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the Blend Mode options you show, I had to go to Layer/Layer Styles.  Then I was able to match the window you showed.

Mary Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mary Lou

Sorry for the delayed reply - I am in the UK and sleep always gets in the way

As you have found there are often several ways to approach the issue.

If you right click the layer and choose blending options then tick bevel & emboss  - to get the menu as I showed you have to click on the words bevel & emboss. Just ticking it turns it on and off but doesn't show the options. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Yes if you want I different transparency effect you can reduce fill to 0% or use a different blending mode.

Have fun - you are learning quickly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines