• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlaying 2 (or more) graphics

Participant ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to overlay two .tif files on top of each other... with both showing. I tried layers, but couldn't figure out how to have both visible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

If you have the option to send this file back to the  illustrator, I'd go ahead and do that and just tell them what you need. That would be the easiest approach, and does not require you learning an additional  program.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you expect to see them both if one is on top of the other? Do you want to see through one?

A screenshot or two would help...maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sent a title page graphic and a title. Both are the same size, so I need to put both together so both show-- the cover page graphic in the lower right and the title across the top. So, I guess, yes, I want to see through one to the other-- which means one must be transparent to the other? Except I can't seem to get the correct combination, or select which graphic is up front and which is to the rear (I select, but see no changes). Now I've lost the text box on the title page graphic (way to the bottom of the page out of the way of the title graphic).

No screenshot, but picture a graphic taking the bottom 2/3 of a page and the title taking the top 1/3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do these files have transparent backgrounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The backgrounds are white behind text and white around the graphic.

When I make the text graphic fully transparent, the text disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to remove the backgrounds in Photoshop. You could try the find edges feature in InDesign to remove it but that’s more of a down and dirty method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very clumsily and slowly coming to that conclusion.

O goody! Something more to learn!

I'm watching blizzard conditions outside my window... and I have plenty to time on my hands. No way am I snow blowing this!!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dud of a storm in South Jersey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so much here in NY's Capitol Region! Strong winds, much snow = real blizzard conditions.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but can't you just crop each of the two graphics in their frames to hide the white background. It sounds like there is just a lot of opaque white surrounding each graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop? I haven't see your title, so here are general steps:

1. Open the image with the title in Photoshop.
  2. Use Save as to save it under a new name (and protect the original)
  3. Select the Magic Eraser tool (lives with the Eraser tool)
  4. Click on the white background to erase it (checkerboard indicated transparency)
  5. Image > Trim > Transparent pixels
  6. Save as a Photoshop .psd file
  7. Place the result in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good. However, my illustrator sent the file in such a was as to make that impossible. The error message tells me the text must be rasterized and it won't let me touch the background.

I either take Simon's solution (above) or send it all back to my illustrator to fix the problem at her end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the option to send this file back to the  illustrator, I'd go ahead and do that and just tell them what you need. That would be the easiest approach, and does not require you learning an additional  program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines