Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Save For Web (Legacy) - Not working as intended

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am brand new to the Adobe Forums - so I hope I'm doing this right.

Essentially, I am trying to use an Action to Batch optimize images for Web. There are a ton of images for this client and I don't particularly want to sit and optimize all 200+ individually.

I have set up a new Action to do the following:

ps-actions.png

The problem is that when I run the batch, instead of saving each image individually, it just overwrites one file over and over. The batch settings are:

ps-batch.png

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong - I followed a tutorial, as I have never set up an Action like this before. No one else seems to be having a problem, and I can't seem to find any discussions, here or elsewhere, talking about this particular issue.

I tried using Export instead of the Legacy Save for Web, but the Action didn't record that at all (which confuses me).

I have an image compression program, but it doesn't compress them enough, even when I run the compression multiple times. Not to mention that PS has a really good optimization system with great results. So I would like to get this working.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Centeine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Another way (and this is my own "safe procedure"):

Set destination to "none" in the batch dialog.

Set save location in the SFW dialog. Have a destination folder ready. This is sticky, and will then be recorded in the action, and the files saved with original names.

End the action with "close without saving" (important!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you need to enable override action open commands and this should work... for some reason sometimes Photoshop gets stuck on the same image over and over because it needs permission to run the action on the other files....

Hopefully this should help.

Otherwise it's probably a bug and you need to try resetting your Photoshop preferences.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also would enable suppress file open options dialogue and see if that resolves things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for commenting!

So, I tried that and the following error pops up:

ps-batch-error.png

Also, variations on that such as "the command "Export" is..." or "Save As" or "Close". Basically telling me that none of the commands are available. My photoshop settings have been reset, and it is very recently bought so there wasn't too much to reset.

Is there any reason you can think of that this error is showing up?

Regards

Centeine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your Image files locked in some way (other than background) like a password restriction or does the PSD etc have locked layers? Try running the batch action on a test PSD file or such and see if the error still occurs.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They weren't locked or restricted in any way. I find it so strange though, it seems that the destination settings were the source of the "bug". I wonder if it's a PS problem or an error on my side.

Extremely odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way (and this is my own "safe procedure"):

Set destination to "none" in the batch dialog.

Set save location in the SFW dialog. Have a destination folder ready. This is sticky, and will then be recorded in the action, and the files saved with original names.

End the action with "close without saving" (important!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

What I ended up doing was creating a new Action - so that I could use both your tips and start again with a clean slate. And voila! It works!

Thank you again, that is so perfect - so much time will now be saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I gave up on the "override action save" checkbox. It always seemed to do the exact opposite of what I thought it would do.

In the end I streamlined the whole process by simply putting a permanent "outbox" on my desktop, with appropriate subfolders, and pointing all my image processing actions to that. It occurred to me that these actions never produced anything I wanted to keep anyway, they were all just for external delivery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. After hours of pulling my hair out, this worked. It seems the problem was as simple as not creating a folder outside of photoshop rather than creating one within Photoshop Batch to save to. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything too, and it worked perfectly after trying in vain for FOREVER! Thank you all so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines