• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping mask aka cutting out more than one part of an image

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo where I need to cut out an image (a person), then I need to "cut out" the space between the arms and the background (so it looks like the person is floating, not attached to a background).  Does this make sense?  I have tried everything and I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks.

[Moved to Photoshop Forum by Moderator]

[Tags updated by Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is probably the best application to do this.

But if you want to do it in Illustrator:

Create the contour shape of the person. Create the shapes for the space between the arms.

Select the shapes and choose: Object > Compound Path > Make

Make sure th at the compound path is above the image.

Select both and  choose: Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could I trouble you to tell me how to do this in photoshop?  I just tried doing what you said and I am clearly doing something wrong (it tells me I can't make a compound path within different groups (?).  I know I have done this before, but maybe it was in photoshop -- I just can't remember how to do it.  Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop you can create a Selection (With Quick Selection Tool, Magic Wand Tool, Polygonal Lasso Tool, … or whatever you prefer) and apply it as a Layer Mask to a Layer (if it is a Background Layer double-click it to change it to a regular one).

On that Layer Mask you can paint with white to show, black to hide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn you beat me to it!

Wish I hadn't added screenshots now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Wish I hadn't added screenshots now

But they are probably very useful to the original poster so you likely did them a greater service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest using a layer mask would be the quickest way to do this non destructively.

Just use:

Capture 6.PNG

Then make sure you have the layer mask selected and with the brush tool or fill tool use Black to hide the background and White to retain.

Capture 7.PNG

If you wanted to destructively do this you could use the eraser or lasso tool after selecting/inverting the area you want to delete or save.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post (a low res version of) the image in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines