Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird rectangular boxes in place of spaces

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the software, REDCap to generate pdf documents. When I print to pdf, there are these weird rectangular boxes in place of the return key spaces. I generally use a windows machine with this software, but when I tested the same issue with a Mac, I don't get the weird boxes. Any ideas on the cause?

So far, I have tried to adjust the settings in Adobe Printer as given in this discussion: When I print to Adobe PDF, strange symbols appear in the document (Create PDF)

I also tried the other suggestion in the same thread: to download the font used to create the pdf: (in my case, DejaVu Sans Condensed), but when I tried to install, I received the error: '...does not appear to be a valid font'.

Here is an example of the problem:

weid rectangular boxes.PNG

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These boxes are usually an indication for a certain glyph (that is the "drawing" of a character) not being available in a given font.

Bring up the document properties (Ctrl-D or Cmd-D) and then go to the Fonts tab. Is the font in question listed as embedded or subset embedded? If it's not embedded, you could try to embed it on the Mac, where you don't see this problem.

How exactly are you creating the PDF file? You say you are printing to the Adobe Printer. Can I assume you have Adobe Acrobat installed, and you are printing to the "Adobe PDF" printer? Which version of Acrobat do you have? Are you printing from a browser? If so, what type of browser are you using? I am not familiar with the REDCap software.

You said you could not install the font, where did you download the font from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines