• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017 script opens InDesign 2015

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using InDesign CC 2017 on a Mac, running Sierra. When I have 2017 open and select PlaceMultipagePDF from the default AppleScript menu, it opens 2015. I'd assumed the scripts would update automatically, but I could be mistaken. Do I need to edit the "2015"s out of the script and replace them all with "2017"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

onesmilingmom  wrote

I'm using InDesign CC 2017 on a Mac, running Sierra. When I have 2017 open and select PlaceMultipagePDF from the default AppleScript menu, it opens 2015. I'd assumed the scripts would update automatically, but I could be mistaken. Do I need to edit the "2015"s out of the script and replace them all with "2017"?

Hi,

use the ExtendScript version of the script: PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx
See the JavaScript folder in the Samples folder of the Scripts Panel.

Always start the sample scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to contact the developer of PlaceMultipagePDF, whoever that may be, to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve - The script is part of the standard load from Adobe, not an add on purchase. How would we determine who the developer is in order to contact? thanks for the clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

onesmilingmom  wrote

Hi,

use the ExtendScript version of the script: PlaceMultipagePDF.jsx
See the JavaScript folder in the Samples folder of the Scripts Panel.

Always start the sample scripts from InDesign's Scripts Panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have 2017 open and select PlaceMultipagePDF from the default AppleScript menu, it opens 2015.

Don't open the script into Script Editor. As Uwe suggests, run the script from your InDesign Scripts panel by double-clicking it. On OSX you can run either the AppleScript or JavaScript version and get the same result:

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 4.22.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is where I am running the Applescript version from. I double click it there and InDesign 2015 opens. After 2015 opens, the dialog to place the pdf is still open in 2017. Until I updated to 2017, that script worked just fine.

Other than OKing a few empty dialog boxes, Uwe's suggestion to use the Javascript version seems to be a viable workaround. (I'm not sure what is meant by ExtendScript though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until I updated to 2017, that script worked just fine.

Normally you shouldn't have to do this, but open the script into Apple's Script Editor, edit the 4 instances of this line:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

and change to:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2017"

Click Compile, save the script and it should run correctly from either Script Editor or the InDesign Scripts panel.

I'm not sure what is meant by ExtendScript though

ExtendScript Toolkit is an application for editing JavaScripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

ExtendScript is the JavaScript script language flavor Adobe is providing for InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop etc.pp.
InDesign's sample script files with a *.jsx suffix. ExtendScript scripts are working with InDesign on Mac OSX and Windows alike. All sample scripts for InDesign come in three different scripting languages:

InDesign on Mac OSX: ExtendScript (JavaScript) and AppleScript.

InDesign on Windows: ExtendScript (JavaScript) and VB Script.

Obviously Adobe did not update the AppleScripts for CC 2017.
Or the scripts were migrated as duplicates from an installed CC 2015 to CC 2017 during the installation process.

The sample AppleScripts contain concrete target instructions for a distinct InDesign version—the ExtendScript scripts do not. So starting an AppleScript from the samples will execute CC 2015 instead of CC 2017.

FWIW: With InDesign comes also the ExtendScript Toolkit app (ESTK) where you can develop, run and debug ExtendScript scripts with. So in principle *.jsx files can also be executed from the ESTK. With the right lines of code targeting InDesign even with a double-click on the file from the file system. But this is not recommended.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines