• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 wont let me remove photos to trash bin

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to delete photos from the hard drive when I am in lightroom. But I am no longer able to, it says it cant remove photo to trash bin, I can only remove from Lightroom. What gives? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have shut down Lightroom and reopened but to no avail. Still telling me photo cant be removed to the recycle bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of computer, Mac or Win PC?

What exact version of LR? Help > About Adobe PS LR and post the Exact version number.

On what drive in your system are the images stored on?

How is that drive formatted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, LR 6.0 external hard drive. Dont know. But I havent had any trouble with deleting the photo from the disc when in Lightroom until just recently, as in the last time I opened it up no less than a week ago. Have been using this version and this PC for a while now and this problem cropped up only once before about a yr ago. All I did was shut it down and reopen and that took care of it, not this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really running LR 6."0"???????

Did you even go to the Help menu and click on About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom?

LR 6 is up to the .(DOT)9 release. you can get the update file from here.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

I suspect your external drive is failing.

See if you can copy some images off it to your internal drive, any images will do, and place them in a folder you create on the C drive called Test Import.

Open LR and start a new catalog, File menu > New Catalog, Name it Test Catalog and place it in a folder on the C drive that you create called Test Catalog. Import the images you copied over to your internal drive. Also see if you can import images from your external drive to this new Test catalog. Once that is done see if you can Remove Photos and select the option to Delete from disk. Do some from the images on the C drive and then some from the images on the external drive Do the images deleted from the C drive go to the Recycle Bin? Do the images from the external drive go to the recycle bin.

Post back with the results of the test catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. I have the stand alone version. Just did a check for updates and it is updating. Will see what happens after update and then if it still wont delete then I will do the suggestion you have given. Hoping the update takes care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt the update will fix the problem you are having. But updating LR to the most current point release is, IMHO, a good thing to do (Most of the time).

I seriously think your external drive is at fault, IS Faulty. Hopefully you have a backup of your images on some other drive. If you don't NOW would be a good time to make one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Lightroom but still not able to delete from disc, only delete from lightroom so I did what was suggested and copied two pics from the album I am working on now that I do not want. I copied to a folder on my internal drive and the external. I was able to delete from the disc in lightroom when I imported from the pc hard drive, but not from the external. So how do I know if external hard drive is actually failing?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you already know that. If after creating a New Catalog and importing images from both your internal and the suspected faulty external drive you can Delete, Remove Photos, images from the internal and have them go to the Recycle Bin from the internal but not from external is proof enough for me to start looking for a new external drive and if you haven't done so yet Back Up your photos to another, separate, external drive.

I just had something similar happen with one of my external drives. Access to it became very slow. I can still read from it, copy files from it but when I use a Folder Sync program that I have used for years to sync up different folder on my internal drives to that external the Read times of the files on the external drive and the Copying of file to it was Slow Slow Slow. I immediately ordered a new external drive to replace it. It will be on my door step tomorrow. I have taken that drive off line for the time being. Hope fully I can access it to copy files off it once I have the new external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think it is the external hard drive per se. I went directly to the fold in the external hard drive and tried to delete a photo. Says I need admin permission. This leads me to believe that that is the issue when trying to delete from lightroom. ARRGGG!!  I am signed into my pc as admin and I checked on the security properties for the external drive and full permission is given. So not sure what the issue is. I am now doing research on what I can do about that. Thanks for all the help. Seems it is an admin issue with Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok fixed the problem. Not sure what it was I did. Went into properties on the external drive and changed to full access on all, but had some issues that seems to be a windows 10 issue. What I think worked though was I right clicked Lightroom and saw that I could run as admin and so I did. I can now delete photos from the disc while in lightroom. Also I am able to delete directly from the disc without getting the permission pop up. Either way it is now working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance that the images you are trying to delete have a "?" on them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no ? mark on them. Wouldnt be able to delete from lightroom if there was, I think. Anyway, updating so....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines