• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Terrible performance in LR - Fantastic in PP. What gives?!

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love some help with this folks - and yep, I've done everything the FAQ's suggest to increase performance in LR - and now I'm asking the brains trust to see if there is something simple I'm just not seeing.

Computer Specs:

i7-6800K running at 4.0Ghz. (yep, 6 cores)

32Gb DDR4 3200mhz RAM

512Gb M.2 Samsung 950pro SSD (as OS, Adobe, import and edit drive)

GTX1080 6Gb VRAM

Windoze 10.

Have 75% SSD free,

LR only utilising 8Gb Ram (of 32 available),

task manager is only showing CPU utilisation of 30% when using lightroom heavily.

Nil open in the back ground.

Catalog size is only 3000 images and was optimized today (and every week previously)

SSD is defragged every week.

Symptoms: will have an image open in develop pane, click right button on keyboard, wait 3 seconds, next image loads.

Loading full images, (not small), have smart preview on, and I am utilising the GFX card for assistance and it's still this slow.

Adjustment brush is unusable because of the lag.

In retrospect, I booted up my old 2009 Mac Pro (quad core Xeon , 6Gb Ram etc.) and it takes about a half second between images...

This is really frustrating as I'm sure you can imagine, and I'm just about done with the Adobe suit because of this issue - that said, I do video work in Premiere Pro and Ae and they're both blazingly fast. It just seems to be an issue with LR.

HELP!!!

Thanks folks

Wes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

6 core CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 core CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try limiting Lightroom to 4 cores, there seems to be an issue with larger amounts that is unresolved..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For testing use the Task Manager to limit the Lightroom process to a lower CPU count.

For a permanent solution use start /affinity F lightroom.exe to start LR.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems the 6cores are the issue. Any plans for Adobe to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plans? I assume sure!

When? Nobody knows, and they don't tell

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For testing use the Task Manager to limit the Lightroom process to a lower CPU count.

I think it's possible that using Task Manager to limit the number of CPUs could give different results from "start /affinity".  At startup, LR may record the number of available CPUs and use that number for the rest of the session; LR may not notice if you change that number with Task Manager later in the session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a shortcut to LR on my desktop, and I altered the 'Target' line to the following. That only allows LR to use 4/8 cores, and the other 2/4 cores of my 6/12 core cpu are just available to the system and other programs.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start  "lightroom" /affinity FF  "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe"

Take note of the spaces between commands.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but should we be having to throttle our computers back?? Really??? what a joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you add your me-too vote and details of your configuration and performance issues to this bug report in the official feedback forum: Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community  (the title says "Xeon" but the topic is really about large-core machines).  This forum is a user-to-user forum in which Adobe product developers rarely participate, but Adobe does pay attention to the feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People pay monthly subscription for these products, and it turns out they're not cutting edge software on the market..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no expectations for cutting edge. We just expect it to be reasonably mediocre already.

The day Capture one introduce proper jump between C1 and Photoshop will be my last day of using Lightroom. Though, I will still pay for it as a part of Photographer bundle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines