• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The text will not extend to the right side of the column

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having layout difficulties where the text will not extend to the right side of the column, even though it is obvious there is room for more words. I am trying to improve the layout of the text and reduce the white space, but for some reason the text is not optimising all the space available across a column, and moves text to a new line when there is obvious space for it on that line.  Changing the Composer setting under justification from Adobe Paragraph Composer to Adobe Single line Composer results in some improvement, but it is not a recommended practice for a whole document.  Would you have any suggestions or reasons why this is happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum... A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or InDesign or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry new to this help format.

The forum I need is Indesign,

thank you,

Val

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Val - please provide your InDesign version number and OS. Also a screen shot of your issue might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all fro your advice.

I really wish the ragged lines being balanced was the issue, but I did not have it turned on.

I am using CS% and the OS id Windows 7, 64-bit operating system.

In reference to the screen shot the bolded paragraph, for example the second line down there is room for the word 'of' to sit on this 2nd line as I was able to add it to the beginning of the line, but the program is not allowing it to happen. As a consequence I seem to be getting a lot of white wasted space on the right side of both columns.

I look forward to a solution to this problem, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant to say CS5 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I see hyphenate is checked on your Control Panel but there are no hyphens to be seen. What is the language set to in Type > Character?

If it is not obvious, please show the Character panel with the same text selected as well as Paragraph Style Options again but this time click Hyphenation in the left column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The language is English: Australian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so let's see the hyphenation settings. Edit the style > Hyphenation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see hyphen and character settings,

Val

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There it is. You have hyphenation limit set to 0. Change it back to 3 and let's see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bother you, but the mystery continues.

That seemed to have no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No bother, we like puzzles.

But in the last screen shot, you still have the hyphenation limit set to 0. Set it back to 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to change it for your paragraph style so that all paragraphs update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you are not bothering us — don't worry about that! Although in my time zone it is bedtime, so I will leave it to Barb to continue to answer tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to change it for your paragraph style so that all paragraphs update.

Jane, it looks to me like Valerie is editing the ¶ style called "text 12 pt". Oh, and nighty night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I must have put the previous screen shot up. Correct one attaced

This is a real challenge and thanks you so much for your help.

It is 11.54 AM at an agricultural research station in western NSW, Australia.

I have also added another paragraph where the effect is quite strange, or maybe it isn't to you experienced designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what's puzzling. Hyphenation is on, but there are no hyphens. I'm convinced that is the key to solving this. Will you save your file, then put your cursor in the story and tap Ctrl Alt /? (It's a shortcut to reflow the story.)

If that doesn't change anything, are you willing to post that document (or even just those two pages of that document) on dropbox? And then send a link? You can post the link here, or send it to me directly by right-clicking my name above this post and choosing Message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Valerie. I took a look at the file. I'm going to document this so that perhaps someone else can see what I found, and chime in.

With the language set to English: Australian, you get the strange line endings you are asking about. Nothing hyphenates even though hyphenation is turned on.

InDesign CCss_013.png

When I change the language to English: UK, it reflows and hyphenates correctly.InDesign CCss_014.png

When I change the language to English: USA, it reflows and hyphenates correctly.InDesign CCss_015.png

I think that something isn't right about the Australian dictionary. Is it missing? Corrupt? Here's where I'm hoping someone with more experience on this subject will chime in.

But for now, how different is Australian English from UK English? I'm in the US and truly have no idea. I am wondering is if you can get away with the English: UK dictionary until you resolve the issue with the Australian one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb,

I will go with the UK back to the old colonial power.

Under preferences there is no option for Australian English so perhaps this non-matching is a problem.

Strangely though the original paragraph I highlighted still does not allow 'of' from line 3 to fit on line 2 although there is room for it. There are many other examples like this which is what prompted me to seek help from such experienced forum users.

Also I do not want all those words being hyphenated as it looks stranger than the original problem so do I just turn hyphenation of?.

Thanks for your generous help.

Val

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valeried81839117  wrote

Thanks Barb,

Strangely though the original paragraph I highlighted still does not allow 'of' from line 3 to fit on line 2 although there is room for it. There are many other examples like this which is what prompted me to seek help from such experienced forum users.

The "of" is likely due to the Adobe Paragraph Composer. It makes the best composition for the entire paragraph—not line by line. It does a better job than Single-line, but that is the other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valeried81839117  wrote

Thanks Barb,

Also I do not want all those words being hyphenated as it looks stranger than the original problem so do I just turn hyphenation of?.

Val

There is nothing wrong with using hyphenation. Look in magazine and books—they all use it.

If, however, you do turn off hyphenation, be sure to change the Justification settings for the Paragraph style. You might want to change them anyway.

If you have a subscription to www.lynda.com, Nigel French explains it in this movie:
https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Setting-Justification-options/531/34118-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, and I know that you didn't ask about this, but the Baseline Grid is showing, and nothing is aligning to it. And the grid is not starting at the top margin as it should.

When I squint, it looks like your text is 12/14.

To use the baseline grid properly:

Start:                   0 from the Top Margin (or type your top margin and choose top of page)

Increment:           Body Text leading (14 pts for you)

View Threshold:   I choose a little under the percentage for Fit Spread in Window on the monitor I am using

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in your Paragraph Style, under "Indents and Spacing" you have to uncheck "Balance Ragged Lines"

Schermata 2017-03-15 alle 10.06.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with premio_oscar that Balance Ragged Lines could be the culprit here. The instructions above show you how to disable this if you are using styles. If you aren't using styles you can select the text and turn this off in the Control Panel menu. It's a nice feature for balancing multi-line heads, but not so good for body paragraphs.

InDesign CCss_010.png

InDesign CCss_011.png

If not, please share a screen shot with Type > Hidden Characters turned on, so that we can see what is going on. Also, while a lot of people routinely disable hyphenation, you might want to make sure it is on (and check the settings) because it does reduce the rag on the right side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines