• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Access to layers in onClick event handler

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm trying to access all the layers in the current document when I click a button in a custom window that I am made. Here's my code so far:

var doc = app.activeDocument; 

var palette = new Window("palette");

var button = palette.add("button", undefined, "Play");

palette.show();

button.onClick = function() {

var numLayers = doc.layers.length;

$.writeln(numLayers.toString());

};

The problem I am having is that the "layers" collection doesn't seem to exist in the active document when I try to access it in the onClick event. Perhaps there is something I don't understand about button event handlers?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because with palettes, this gets infinitely more complicated because you have to send the code as a string through the BridgeTalk object. See this thread for an explanation: Re: Calling functions from UI palette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Silly-V​. I was able to make illustrator send a message to itself. Here's the code if anyone else needs it:

#target illustrator

var loadCode = '$.writeln(app.activeDocument.layers.length);';

var animPalette = new Window("palette");

var button = animPalette.add("button", undefined, "Play");

animPalette.show();

// When button is clicked, create the BridgeTalk Object so we can send a message

// to an application (in this case its illustrator sending  a message to itself)

var bt = new BridgeTalk;

bt.target = "illustrator";

bt.body = loadCode;

bt.send();

};

// Callback for when illustrator recieves the message

// We use eval to read the message string and evaluate it as JS code

BridgeTalk.onRecieve = function( message )

{

eval(message.body);

};

I'm curious though, is there a way to extract the script you want to run, into its own file as opposed to sending it as a string?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I think using a palette, you have to send anything in a string regardless - but there may be more easier ways to do this.

You could, for example, try to send a simple message that points to a .jsx file and use the file.execute() on it.

In my case, I typically read in external .jsx files as text and send them through BT. There's a BridgeTalkEncode function floating around here, which is essential to ensure your script string stays intact and no comments or gotchas cause syntax errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's something I just threw together. This way of doing things allows you to encapsulate your logic in a method instead of writing it as a string. It still gets turned into a string when you send it to BridgeTalk but at least this way you don't have to write code in a nasty nasty string

// This method takes in a function

// and returns that function as a string + the function name and parenthesis

// so in the end it spits out a function declaration and invokation: "myMethod() {} myMethod()"

function strMethod(fn)

{

return fn.toString() + fn.name + "()";

}

// The method we want to "stringify"

function addLayer()

{

app.activeDocument.layers.add();

}

var message = strMethod(addLayer);

var animPalette = new Window("palette");

var button = animPalette.add("button", undefined, "Play");

animPalette.show();

// When button is clicked, create the BridgeTalk Object so we can send a message

// to an application (in this case its illustrator sending  a message to itself)

var bt = new BridgeTalk;

bt.target = "illustrator";

bt.body = message;

bt.send();

};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines