• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dr Simon Andrew Casey - Where do I find Spot Colors in InDesign?

Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm usually an AE or PS user, but I'm doing a job in InDesign, and have had trouble with people supplying non-overprint-friendly pdfs for me to use in the layout.

ID has a great Overprint Preview option, but somehow I'm over the limit on spot colors (I have 27, op preview allows a max of 25). Where do I find these offenders to change them to process?

I've done a lot of googling on this. The most recent discussion I've seen is 2013, and I have too many spot colors to use anyone's suggested solutions for finding spot colors. I just keep getting the "you have too many spot colors, please delete some spot colors to proceed (to find the damn spot colors)" message. Hurray for circular issues.

I'm using CC2015 on a PC.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you explain why you need to work with so many spot colors? I just can't see any reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these colors defined in your InDesign document, or are they all added because of placed images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To add a spot colour to use in your InDesign document, click on the Option menu icon at the top right of the colour swatch panel.

1. click on the Option menu icon at the top right of the colour swatch panel.
  2. Select 'New Colour Swatch'
  3. In the new swatch panel, use the Colour Mode drop-down list to select the colour book you want, Like 'Pantone Solid Coated',
  4. Type the colour number you require and click on the Add button to add the colour to your Swatch Panel
  5. Repeat the operation from step 4 as needed
  6. close the window
  7. Select your object/text to apply the colours

Screenshot 2017-03-16 09.37.04.png

Screenshot 2017-03-16 09.37.22.png

Screenshot 2017-03-16 09.37.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be useful however the OP wants to see a list of all the Spot Colours he is using...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with vinny38​. Why do you need so many Spot colours? I know this isn't the question asked... However it is relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: The answer to your ACTUAL question (in my opinion) is to use the Seperations Preview:

Capture 9.PNG

This will list any colours in use in the document without having to do a find/replace etc...

Capture 10.PNG

However you could also use the Ink Manager to make adjustments to any used spot colours to convert them to process:

Capture 8.PNG

This article is quite useful: https://indesignsecrets.com/find-where-that-colors-used.php

HOWEVER: I would re-iterate why you need so many Spot Colours???

This will cost you a LARGE sum to print professionally and a lot of printers cannot handle more than 5-6 Spot colours (to my knowledge anyway - Happy to be corrected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find these offenders to change them to process?

The Swatches panel shows the color's model. The spot color icon has a circle:

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 7.32.51 AM.png

You can use Ink Manager to convert spots to process, but if there are tints ink manager does not make the best conversion and you should change the swatch via Swatch Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drsimonandrewcasey7  wrote

I'm usually an AE or PS user, but I'm doing a job in InDesign, and have had trouble with people supplying non-overprint-friendly pdfs for me to use in the layout.

If the issue is that all these spot colors are coming from multiple PDFs that people are supplying to you, can you use the Ink Manager in Acrobat to convert the Spot colors to CMYK before you bring the PDFs into InDesign?

Two ways: click "Convert all" or click the icon to convert individually

Alternatively use Preflight in Acrobat to convert to CMYK and get rid of the spot colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Idea jane-e ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ink Manger works for 100% percentages of spots, but does not correctly color manage the conversion of tints (I think this is still a problem with 2017).

Re: Ink Manager Bug/Problem?

Large numbers of spot colors can be converted via scripting:

main();

function main(){

var p=app.activeDocument.colors;

for (var i = 0; i < p.length; i++)

try {p.model=ColorModel.PROCESS}

catch (e) {

};      

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're dealing with a lot of incoming PDFs of ads etc, then I'd recommend jane-e's suggestion of using Acrobat Preflight. Once you get your head around its interface, you can create a profile and corresponding droplet that will solve the spot colour issue and many others that you'll inevitably see no matter how clear your file submission guidelines are! Just drop the PDFs onto the droplet and they're fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines