• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save a pdf with security options enabled when saving while printing is not supported

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add security options (figure 2) to a pdf to prevent copying, saving and printing but Adobe wont allow me to save these options while printing (figure 3). The issue is that you can't get to the security options feature without opening the print dialogue box (figure 1) which you also can't close without closing the security options feature. Its a vicious cycle haha.

Figure 1: Print dialogue box allowing you to save as a pdf

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.46.59 am.png

Figure 2: Pdf security options feature
Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.47.43 am.png
Figure 3: Adobe response resulting in inability to save

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.47.58 am.png

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't try to print a PDF to PDF.  In Acrobat Pro (but not Acrobat Reader) use File > Properties and click the Security tab. Then change the Security Methof to password security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, yes i was able to find out that it is possible in to add security in Acrobat Pro, but I don't have access Acrobat Pro. The function clearly exists within Acrobat Reader but we need to find a way to circumnavigate the support error. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be done with Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a support error or bug. Everything is working as designed. Why would Adobe help you to avoid buying Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would they not advertise the feature at that point then? Instead of an error "say please buy Adobe Acrobat to add security features", "please upgrade to pro" or something to the same effect. An error just doesn't seem like a way they would encourage sales as it was very difficult to determine that the feature is not part of Adobe Reader in the first place, I'm still not 100% certain that it isn't, I feel like I have added copy security in the distant past without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This limit is nothing about security features. It has been around longer than that, and is probably there because the process wouldn't work well or at all. So it's just a weird side effect. Indeed, if it was deliberate, we'd probably see an advert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(when it comes to printing PDF to PDF, you can't do that on Mac even with Pro)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines