Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying a person from one drawing to another

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can anyone help?

In adobe sketch i used to draw a character in one project and then be able to copy and paste it onto another project without the white background coming too, but I can't seem to do it anymore. Am i missing something? I just want to copy the character on its own with no background.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Laura.

Not sure what version of Sketch you're using but in the most recent version there is Background Layer. Before you Copy to Clipboard try making that layer transparent (double-tap it until you see an Eye icon with a slash through it and a checkerboard pattern in the layer) and see if that does what you need it to do.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura.

Right now, the only way to share a component of a drawing (between projects or between drawings) is to import it as an image to an Image Layer (which is, I think, why you're seeing the background once you bring it in).

Would it work for you to duplicate the entire drawing and move that to another project?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue, Thank you so much for replying.

Has this changed as I used to be able to just copy a character?

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura.

Well... Yes and no. You're right, it's always been possible to paste the content from a drawing into another drawing in the same project (tap the Share icon in the upper nav and choose Clipboard) but it's always been required to bring it into an Image Layer. So, for the most part the content you move is uneditable. So, you're right, that hasn't changed. Does that make sense?

You know what you might try since you're in Sketch (this isn't possible in Draw)... Go ahead and paste your content into an Image Layer. After you do that and tap Done. Go back into that layer and choose Convert to Sketch Layer. That will enable the ability to actually draw on that layer. See if that does what you want it to do.

Am I helping or just making things more confusing?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are being really helpful!

I've done the bottom suggestion, I like that change.

What I need to be able to do is copy a character from a project, with no background, into another piece (it can be in the same project), not being able to edit it isn't an issue. Can we still do that? Sorry I'm not great at explaining it.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura.

Not sure what version of Sketch you're using but in the most recent version there is Background Layer. Before you Copy to Clipboard try making that layer transparent (double-tap it until you see an Eye icon with a slash through it and a checkerboard pattern in the layer) and see if that does what you need it to do.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES YES YES YES YES YES THANK YOU!!!

If I block out the background along the right hand side, it then only copies the character!

Thank you sooooo much! This must have changed when the layers were introduced.

Brilliant. Thank you so much! Laura x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Laura.

Oh. That's definitely possible. I didn't think of that.

Glad it's working for you though.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines