• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom lag making me almost completely ditch it.

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

So I have made posts about this issue before, I have asked for help reducing the lag when editing photos with adjustment brush etc.

But now I face other problems that is basically making me really look for other products similar to LR but without these problems...

1. Making 1:1 previews of virtual copies that have been heavily edited does sometimes not seem to work. When zooming in on the picture, it can sometimes take up to several minutes for it to load.

2. I feel like I often need to, in order to reveal the true sharpness of an image, zoom in on it first, and then back out. It's ridiculous.

3. When editing an image that has been heavily edited with adjustment brush, the lag is immense. For instance, I was browsing through my collection when I stumbled upon an image that I wanted to straighten up a tiny little bit.
This is impossible. I cannot do it. Lightroom keeps crashing and loading forever. In other words, I cannot make small adjustments to images that I have all ready edited quite heavily with brush.

4. Several times when opening Lightroom I get the longest loading screen ever. Especially if there is an image with a lot of different adjustments made to it, as I am opening the program, just where I left off the night before.

This is a very common sight for me, "program not responding" and the Lightroom screen just turns white or blurry (see image).

Namnlös.png

So what now? I don't want to pay every month for a product that clearly isn't working properly or is not customer friendly.

My computer is a very fast gaming computer, got all the latest drivers etc. I have made a lot of effort improving Lightroom by reading articles online and I have followed the steps in order to optimize it.
I may have missed one or two things but most of it out there I've tried, and it has not improved the situation much.

Any help and feedback is deeply appreciated.
/David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure sounds like your hardware is being pushed beyond what it is capable of doing (despite the fact that you say you have a very fast gaming computer). You admit to heavy editing, and also to lots of adjustment brushing. You need either a faster CPU, or do less editing on a photo, or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My processor is "Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz"

So I hardly think the CPU is the problem. And I need to do heavy editing on some photos, or rather, use the adjustment brush a lot. I can't just skip it because "it gets laggy"

To me it just looks like and seems like Adobe really need to fix this, make their program better basically.

But if you or any one else have more tips and tricks for me I'd take it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's far from a fast processor. It was introduced in 2010, there are much more powerful CPUs available now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course there are faster CPUs now, but this one is still fast. Fast enough for LR.

If you don't think it's fast enough for LR then please do elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

You need either a faster CPU, or do less editing on a photo, or both.

Pardon my french, but that's just ridiculous. An i7-2600 is still a high performance CPU, even if it isn't the latest and greatest. It should work with flying colors.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2290574

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadly lightroom is the heaviest adobe program i know, i am using a macbook pro late 2015 edition and still get several second lags sometimes. the only way to resolve this is to be extremely accurate with your edits to not over do it.

the main problem i can imagine you have with a 2010 computer is not having an ssd drive.

you can achieve small improvement by enlarging the cache to 20g in lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an SSD drive. Both Lightroom and my catalog is on that drive.
And the cache thing I did long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, any one got any ideas regarding points 1 and 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disable GPU in Preferences>Performance, do any of these areas improve?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what size monitor(s) are you using? Is stuff like face recognition, LR mobile syncing, plugins of various sorts, running in the background. Are all your previews rendered? Edits like lens corrections slow things down a lot. LR is not really designed for loads of editing, because every time you make a change it has to recalculate all the previous edits before it can show you the result of the latest one. That is where Photoshop is far better for heavy editing, because it is not a parametric editor. It makes changes as you make them, one at a time, permanently, therefore only one change to calculate before it shows you the result.

Just my thoughts.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2560x 1440. Face recognition, LR mobile or plugins, none of that have I been using.

Yes, the previews have been rendered. Yet when I come back to a photo (that I am certain of I have rendered) it sometimes takes a very long time to load. And I have made sure the previews aren't deleted after some time.

Well, I do not really do "heavy editing". Is using a brush/brushes, fixing sharpness, colour and light etc considered "heavy editing"?
And if all these things are possible doing with LR, then why shouldn't you?
If it is too much for the LR program to deal with, then why enable it in the first place?

And now I also encountered a new problem. For some reason, when (trying) to optimize the library, I get a message saying the drive is out of memory, which it isn't. I have about 30 GB memory left on the disk...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I have noticed no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there no Adobe-employees that can give me satisfactory answers?

I mean the questions I have put out here aren't really rocket-science questions.

Like I stated in my original post, I don't want to pay money for a program that can't do what it is supposed to do.
And I especially don't want to pay when the customer support is this lousy.
I am redirected to the forums with my problem, and yet there are no staff members proving any support.

I do appreciate every one else pitching in trying to help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still need help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry that I can't help. But I can empathize. I'm not a big fan of Lightroom in general (I"m an Aperture refugee), but I haven't hit speed problems. Perhaps I'm light enough with my adjustment brush needs that I've dodged that bullet.

My experiments with Capture One Pro have been generally positive (its adjustment tools are wonderful, but its DAM tools are marginal), but I'm an now fighting with lag and speed related problems associated with database operations. And now a crash when cropping portrait oriented images with a portrait oriented crop for my OM-D E-M1 Mark II images.

So the grass is not necessarily greener.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines