• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Someone PLEASE help me learn to crop text

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't stand tech stuff, I can never get it right! All I want to do is create text and crop it so that a square of text appears onscreen. Now I've been told by one video tutorial to take one composition and put it over another, then select crop to work area, but that option is now not clickable onscreen. Another told me to try to create masks, but all I seem to be able to do is create an oval around the words, and that only seems to be exporting as an aftereffects file, not a quicktime file.

Can you tell I have no idea how to work this stuff? Someone please help me, I'd like to finish a project I've been working on for three years!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, can you explain to me, what you mean, by cropping text? Do you want it to be cut out of a layer? so that the video is seen in the back of the text? Or do you mean, shorten the duration of the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by "cut out of a layer," but I just want a block

of text that I can superimpose over an image in final cut. So, like white

text in a black square.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM, TheresaTob <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I got it.

1. So you open a new compostion in after effects (in the project panel is a button looking like a film strip, which creates a new composition).

2. You press cmd+T and click on the big black window in the middle of After Effects. Now you can write your text. On the right side should be a panel called "Character" where you can adjust fonts, width etc.

3. Press Q untill in the tool-bar (on the very top of After Effects) a blueish square appears as seventh symbol from the left side.

4. Go in the big black window again, where your text is seen, and click+drag to draw a rectangle. If you want it to have equal sides, hold shift while dragging.

(In case your box is supposed to be black, you might consider turning on the transparency grid. To do so, in the big viewer, where you see your text, on the bottom of the viewer is a small button which has a white and grey checkerboard. If you click it, you change the background color from black to transparent.)

5. In the timeline on the lower part of After Effects, you will have to objects. Your written text and an object called "Shape Layer". Click on shape layer and pull it under the text. Now your text should appear on top of the square you drew.

6. Go to "Composition"-"Add to render queue" in the appearing window, down where the timeline was, Click on outpode Mode "losless" and change the RGB to RGB+Alpha (this way your background will not be black, but transparent)

Let me know, if you have any further questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what that did was to create white text that would appear plainly over the image, not white text that would appear in a black box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you follow step 3 and 4 you create a black box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ryan: Do Theresa's steps, as advised, work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryanm38717117  wrote

All I want to do is create text and crop it so that a square of text appears onscreen.

Got Illustrator?

Mess with your text until it's square, import into AE and put it in your comp.

You can do it in AE, but it gets techy... a state of affairs you'll eventually need to overcome for success in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryanm38717117  wrote

Another told me to try to create masks, but all I seem to be able to do is create an oval around the words, and that only seems to be exporting as an aftereffects file, not a quicktime file.

Click and hold the Mask tool icon on the toolbar, and you will see a Rectangle Tool, which will help you achieve what you're after. Hold Shift while creating the rectangle to make it a perfect square.

Make sure your text layer is selected when you are creating the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines