• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Color Range Bug in All Actions -- Workaronds?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Select Color Range in an action "Sampled Colors" mode is not recognized when recorded into an action. It will save the chosen color parameters. Just not the mode. I posted this in feedback.photoshop bugs area and staff confirmed it been logged as of this week. But since it seems it has been a bug for years now who knows when it will be fixed. What I'm wondering is if anyone has workaround ideas.

Say you go to Select Color Range and record a Sampled Color step. All is well as long as Sampled Colors is the step last in that panel. But then if you the last time you used Select Color Range you applied another mode such as highlight, midtones, reds, skin tones it will not return to Sampled Color until you manually change it. That means if you run an action that uses Sampled Color, the selection comes out wrong because it runs your saved color parameters but will not under any circumstance change the mode to "Sampled Colors. So the section essentially come sup as nothing but you won't know why.

This does not apply to any other mode in the panel which records perfectly in an action. This is obscure enough that we have probably been using actions for years  that sometimes gave unexpected results and had no idea why. I found one other report on it 3 years old and it still has not been fixed. You can easily repeat it.

This is a big deal. It means "Sampled Colors" cannot be used in an action and there is no way I have found to add a step in an action that will change it back to "Sampled Colors" or reset the panel. Done in reverse there is no problem. Meaning if the last setting was "Sampled Colors" but the action step calls for Midtones or the like it will run just fine because "Midtones" will be recorded as part of the action step. I even tries manually altering the action as XML with no luck.

So the question. Does anyone know any command that can be recorded into an action that will get the Color Range panel to switch to Sampled Colors?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, even ScriptingListener.plugin-created JavaScript-code seems to disregard the distinction.

May I ask in which context you use the operation? Maybe some other work-around is feasible …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea it's pretty crazy. I've even tried making fixer actions that will take a path to activate the default option through some other means but nothing works.

I often use Select color range in actions. It's a very versatile tool for selecting specific tonal values and colors. Problem is I use every mode so as soon as anything but Sampled Colors is used it becomes no longer available to an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some unwieldy work-arounds seem possible, but I doubt they will meet your needs.

Unfortunate issue …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years and 8 months after the bug was reported and not yet fixed.
What's happening, Adobe ?????????????????????
Lazy Adobe ..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniels, Hello!

I think that if the issue is a problem for you, try to attract others to vote and command on that very thread in feedback. The more people complaint, the more priority this bug might have. If no one seems to have the problem, there's few incentive to fix it.

I see that you have posted a new thread, do not hesitate to vote and post again in the existing one...

Photoshop: Color Range Dialog gets "stuck" in setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks PECourtejoie

It is a little bit confusing to me how this community works.
I was logged and trying to post here, but then I was redirected to another place called Photoshop Family with another credentials for login.
I'll have a look in that link.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, sorry, I tought that you were the original poster of this discussion: Photoshop: "Color Range" in "Sampled Color" is not being recorded properly in Action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines