• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank space whilst cutting footage to music.

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am editing footage to music in a video. I had a section of clips which i edited earlier in the video and when cutting the clips to music, they automatically shifted when I deleted a clip. However I now have another track in the project and am editing clips to that but when I delete footage a blank space is created which cannot be deleted. The only way to get around the issue is to highlight all remaining clips in the project and drag them past the blank space which is not efficient when creating many videos.

This is infuriating as sometimes the program lets me edit to music and cuts and deletes space fine,but then 10 minutes later on in my project when doing exactly the same thing it creates these annoying blank spaces which can't be deleted.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Philip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

It sounds like you're struggling with the "ripple" system.

When you insert a clip, all of the clips to the right break and shift right.

When you delete a clip from the middle of your movie, all of the clips move left to fill in the gap -- UNLESS you've got video or audio on a parallel track that's keeping the gap from being a true gap in the movie.

Also, depending on which version of the program you're using, rippling is based on the video on the Video 1/Audio 1 track.

Could that be what you're expe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was that clip linked to a video clip?  If so, you may not be able to "delete and close gap."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're struggling with the "ripple" system.

When you insert a clip, all of the clips to the right break and shift right.

When you delete a clip from the middle of your movie, all of the clips move left to fill in the gap -- UNLESS you've got video or audio on a parallel track that's keeping the gap from being a true gap in the movie.

Also, depending on which version of the program you're using, rippling is based on the video on the Video 1/Audio 1 track.

Could that be what you're experiencing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is what I'm experiencing. There is a music track below the video track. However I need the music track there as I'm am editing and cutting to the music.

Is there no way around this blank space being created whilst editing to music? How do people editing music videos use this program?

Many Thanks,

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got some tips on how to work with rippling timelines in my book, on Amazon.

Basically the secret is to hold down the Ctrl key or the Alt key as you add your still photos or videos to the timeline. This will override the ripple feature so that your soundtrack won't break apart as you add to your video track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lynda.com is a training site.  Steve does videos there and Lynda puts a few on YouTube for marketing, promotion or trials.  One on inserting and managing clips is here:  Premiere Elements tutorial: Adding clips, slice, trim, and ripple edits | lynda.com - YouTube  This particular video leaves out use of the Alt key but provides an alternate way with a variety of choices. 

Adobe also provides on line documentation.  The techniques of inserting are here: How to arrange clips in the Expert view timeline with Premiere Elements

A couple paragraphs down it says:

Add clips to the Expert view timeline:

When you insert a clip into the Expert view timeline, adjacent clips on all tracks shift to accommodate the new clip. By shifting all clips together, the audio and video of the existing clips remain in sync.

Sometimes, you don’t want all clips to shift with each insertion. For example, when you add background music that superimposes the entire movie, you don’t want clips to shift.

To shift specific clips togather, press the Alt key as you insert. At a time, you can shift specific clips simultaneously on a maximum of two tracks. These include the track receiving the insertion and the track containing the linked audio or video (if any). The affected tracks shift together, remaining aligned. The clips on other tracks are unaffected.

Insert a clip, shift clips in the Expert view timeline

Do one of the following:

Drag the clip from the Project Assets panel to the desired location in the Expert view timeline. When the pointer changes to the Insert icon, release the mouse.

Move the current‑time indicator to the desired location in the Expert view timeline. Then select the clip in the Project Assets panel and choose Clip > Insert.

Insert a clip, shift clips on only the target and linked tracks

Alt‑drag the clip from the Project Assets panel to the desired location in the Expert view timeline. When the pointer changes to the Insert icon, release the mouse.

If you drag a clip into the blank space above the topmost video track (for video) or below the lowest audio track (for audio), Adobe Premiere Elements creates a new track for the clip. If the clip contains both audio and video, it creates both a new video and new audio track.

Overlay a clip in the Expert view timeline

The easiest way to replace a portion of a video is to overlay it with other footage. When you overlay a clip, the clip you add replaces any existing frames starting at the location you designate.

If the new clip is 40 frames long, it overlays 40 frames of the existing clip. The frames following the overlay, if any, remain at the same location in the track. Overlays do not change the length of the movie unless the overlay extends beyond the end of the movie.

Do one of the following:

Ctrl‑drag/Cmd-drag the clip from the Project Assets panel to the first frame you want to overlay. When the pointer changes to the Overlay icon, release the mouse.

Move the current‑time indicator to the first frame you want to overlay, select the clip in the Project Assets panel, and then choose Clip > Overlay.

Place one clip above another in the Expert view timeline

You can place one clip above another without replacing a section of the lower clip as is done with an overlay. You can use clips stacked in this way, for example, with various keying effects.

->In the Expert view timeline, drag the current-time indicator to a location above a video clip where you want to overlay another clip.

->Shift-drag a clip from the Project Assets panel, and drop it on to the Monitor panel.

->Choose Place On Top.

Adobe Premiere Elements drops the second clip into the first available video track at the location of the current-time indicator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines