• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Transparency Issue

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign preference issue I need some help solving.  I've been talking to Adobe Tech Support for two days with emails and files being sent to them, but no resolution.

It's a transparency issue when placing a native Illustrator file with a transparent background into an Indesign file.  A white background is added to the placed file . This happens with ANY InDesign file (New or existing) and ANY Illustrator file (New or Existing). I can place a .png file with a transparency fine, but not an illustrator file. I've isolated the issue to one machine and know the illustrator files are good.  I sync the files to the Creative Cloud and if I open documents and place a transparent file into the same InDesign doc, it works as expected.

I'm quite sure this is an InDesign issue, It's worked fine for years, and something happened a couple days ago... and only to this one machine.

The problem is happening on a MacPro.  Latest OS, and the latest version of Indesign (and other CS apps).

I've un-installed Indesign and selected "Yes, remove app preferences".  I restarted and reinstalled InDesign from the Creative suite drop down.

Interestingly, when I opened InDesign, it showed my recent file list...?  I created a new file, placed a black box on a page and imported a transparent Illustrator file and its still placing it with a white background.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

CTC-NH  wrote

It's a transparency issue when placing a native Illustrator file with a transparent background into an Indesign file.  A white background is added to the placed file . This happens with ANY InDesign file (New or existing) and ANY Illustrator file (New or Existing).

Thanks,

Rich

When you place the Illustrator file, choose Show Import Options (Shift + Open is the shortcut). Confirm that Transparent Background is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTC-NH  wrote

It's a transparency issue when placing a native Illustrator file with a transparent background into an Indesign file.  A white background is added to the placed file . This happens with ANY InDesign file (New or existing) and ANY Illustrator file (New or Existing).

Thanks,

Rich

When you place the Illustrator file, choose Show Import Options (Shift + Open is the shortcut). Confirm that Transparent Background is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uggh...

I knew I should have come here first

Thanks for the quick and absolutely correct answer.

Any idea how this would have changed?  I did not change it.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I looked for a way to change it accidentally. Spacebar will check/uncheck a checkbox if you are on the field. But I had to press Tab four times to move to the Transparent Background field before hitting Space would uncheck it.

So no, I don't have any viable ideas for how it might have changed.

But I'm glad you are up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines