• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mode [Will there be any issues in switching from RGB to CMYK during the design process?]

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. i want to know if i change the mode form rgb to cmyk in the middle of design make difference at the end for the the design that going to end up  on print? or i should just begin with the cmyk?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to repeat stock advice. Talk to your printer and ask how the files should be prepared.

Some require Adobe RGB and they like to make the conversions, so you should work closely with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of design? (Graphic, photographic images, texts, ā€¦)

Why CMYK and which CMYK? (Working in CMYK entails certain risks, in particular if one does not fully appreciate the principal difference between additive and subtractive color models.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

design for print.offset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to know the final CMYK profile that will actually be used. You'll get this from the printer.

If you don't know, stay in RGB until you do.

The Image > Mode command misleads a lot of people into thinking that there actually is a generic "CMYK mode". There isn't. CMYK is always "device dependent", it describes the actual printing process - the specific press/paper/ink used.

Image > Mode converts to whatever you have set up as working CMYK in color settings.

The Photoshop default arbitrarily happens to be US Web Coated SWOP v2, just because there has to be some default. Web Coated SWOP is fairly consistent with common press conditions in the US and some other places, but in other parts of the world it will be totally wrong. You have to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand your answer but i don't think that we have such things in our country.the cmyk or rgb are the only things that are important to press operator. but anyway you did not answer my question . i want to know the harm of switching form rgb to cmyk during the design? it has or it has not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, always work in RGB, it gives you the greatest flexibility for your eventual output, which may include images for the web (RGB) and images to be placed in InDesign for commercial printing where you would probably export to PDF/X-4, or to a desk-top inkjet printer where the printers software might convert your RBG to CMYK+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, always work in RGB

As long as halftone images are the issue, in case of graphical designs (for which Photoshop would not seem to be the ideal application anyway) involving small black texts or linework working in CMYK can make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines