• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Motion path handles are not aligned with layer

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using the puppet tool on my character in after effects, and when i move onto animating a pin, i realize the handles to curve and smooth out the animation are displayed across the screen away from the character. This makes it hard for me to adjust the animation curve. Has anyone got any knowledge of this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

It looks like you've animated rotation. If you apply puppet pIn to a layer you cannot apply any other key frames for position rotation or scale. Do your puppet animation first then recompose and animate your movement in the pre-comp.

Two minutes on the puppet pin help page would've given you this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screenshot! sounds like you are also animating the layer using something else, which is a big no-no. when doing such stuff, only use the Puppet stuff, not native transforms or additional effects. Any such operation should be applied after nesting the puppet animation in a pre-comp.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.pngrr.png

Thanks for responding! well as you can see the motion path is away from the characters leg. i was able to only fix this by re-importing the layers of the character from illustrator, but as i begin animating again the issue arises again. I've attached my second screen of the layers if that may help. I have no clue of why that happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puppet tool only works on bitmapped footage, not vector footage made in Illustrator.  You'll need to precompose each layer that needs the puppet tool, and use it on the pre comp.  This will convert it into a bitmap layer.

A good idea is to make the Illustrator layers bigger than you think you'll need in the pre comp.  Happy thinking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puppet tool only works on bitmapped footage, not vector footage made in Illustrator.

vector layers made in illustrator are bitmap images if unchecked for continuously resterize like OP is doing. this should work.

Op - try to minimize the issue to just one layer, one composition and see when it starts to break, also supply the project file and the Ai file in question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you've animated rotation. If you apply puppet pIn to a layer you cannot apply any other key frames for position rotation or scale. Do your puppet animation first then recompose and animate your movement in the pre-comp.

Two minutes on the puppet pin help page would've given you this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick!,

That explains alot, because i always add rotations to the puppet layer and have this problem. So once ive animated the puppet pins,  i must precompose that layer then go on animating the position and rotation?

I will try this from now on!

Thanks alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines