• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import RAW files

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am no longer able to import RAW files from my Sony A7iiR into Lightroom (version 5.7.1) whereas previously it was no problem. I checked LR for updates and got a message that my version of LR is up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Here is a worthwhile tutorial for you to review if you are moving to a new computer:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

You might want to consider just moving your images and catalog to the new computer and installing Lightroom CC using the application manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify your camera model? Do you mean the A7Rii? If so, raw support for that camera was not introduced until LR6.1.1.

Or do you mean a different model? See here for the list of supported cameras: Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the A7Rii. But I've never had a problem with importing RAW files from this camera into LR before now so I don't know what has changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you were shooting Jpeg only? Or you were converting your raw files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG converter? But there should be no way that you could have imported proprietary Raw files (.ARW) from an A7Rii directly into LR5.7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I always shoot in RAW. I have LR through Creative Cloud so I should automatically have the most up to date version, right? So I am wondering why I am not operating on LR 6 or later which would apparently solve my problem. Is it possible for my LR to have regressed to an earlier version? I recently switched from a PC to a Mac (but using Windows Parallels Desktop) which has been a nightmare. Perhaps this is something to do with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have LR through Creative Cloud so I should automatically have the most up to date version, right?

No you have to actually install and update through the creative cloud app. Also, Lightroom 5.7 will stay installed even if you install the newer version and if you do not specifically laugh LR 2015 CC it might keep launching the old version.

>but using Windows Parallels Desktop

you do NOT want to do this with Lightroom. You need to run it natively or you'll get pretty terrible performance. Generally you should only use these parallelization things if you need to run a piece of software that is not available otherwise. If you have CC you can install Lightroom and Photoshop anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you were actually using LR6/CC, not 5.7.1, that would explain how you were able to process those raw files before. However, it also tends to suggest that you've got the PC to Mac migration wrong somewhere. Not only have you apparently not installed the correct version, but it also implies that you've not migrated the LR6/CC catalog either (because you can't open an LR6/CC catalog in an earlier version of Lightroom such as 5.7.1).

You need to figure out where it went wrong and try to get things sorted out. Try looking at this article: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

BTW, why are you running LR under Parallels? Why not run it natively under OSX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I thought that Parallels would help my transition to the Mac system and would preserve my existing folder architecture generally (not just for my photography work). Not really working out that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a worthwhile tutorial for you to review if you are moving to a new computer:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

You might want to consider just moving your images and catalog to the new computer and installing Lightroom CC using the application manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking again at my LR, it says it is version 5.7.1 but it also says Camera RAW 8.7.1 - does that explain anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeremyw14643749  wrote

Looking again at my LR, it says it is version 5.7.1 but it also says Camera RAW 8.7.1 - does that explain anything?

Yes, it means that you are NOT up to date. The current creative version of Lightroom is CC 2015.9. If you are still using the same computer it would seem that you have still got Lightroom 5 .7 .1 installed, and you are using the icon linked to that version to start Lightroom. I would suggest that you go to your programs folder and see if you can locate the folder for Lightroom CC. Perhaps you need to create a new shortcut that points to the current version. It is possible to have multiple versions of Lightroom installed.

The other explanation is that you could have switched to a 32-bit operating system. If that happened then Lightroom CC will not run because it is 64-bit only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines