• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is import catalog so extremely slow?

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing a 6,000 image Lightroom catalog off of my traveling laptop into my master 100,000 image desktop catalog and the importing process quickly progresses to the ~60% mark of "Checking for changed duplicate photos", when it then slows to a crawl -- 14 hours later, the import progress thermometer has barely moved. Both catalogs have recently been optimized. The importing desktop system is very high performance (Windows 10, i7-6700K @4.5GHz, 32GB RAM, SSDs). I am running Lr V2015.8 on both systems. The Lr process is taking ~15% of the system's CPU and 8GB of its RAM. It shouldn't take more than a half day (& counting) before one can even start working on a remote project's images! At a minimum, there should be a way for me to turn off the checking for duplicates, since I know that none exist!! In any case, any ideas on why importing is so slow and suggestions for speeding up this ridiculously slow process?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rsamco,

A lot of performance improvements have been made in the recent update release 6.10.

Please update to the latest release from the Help>>Updates menu and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly this doesn't help the problem. We are running the most up to date version of Lightroom.

It takes an Inordinate amount of time to import from other catalogs. As in HOURS. It typically "Checks for Changed Duplicate photos."  for hours. Please fix this. I waste so much time waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines