Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak/out of memory - Ryzen 1700X system

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I bought 2 days ago a Ryzen 1700X CPU with a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 motherboard to use, among other things, for Premiere Pro.

I have tried all possible things and I can't get it to work properly, because of EXTREMELY fast "out of memory" behavior. So I have 16GB of RAM on my machine and if I import 20 4k video files, there's an 80% chance it will run out of memory during import, or a 100% chance it will run out of memory during conforming. The entire process takes around 30s and then Premier Pro is dead. It either closes itself, or I get the out of memory warning with a lot of errors reported by PP itself, cautioning me to save the work and close the program.

I tried CUDA acceleration (GPU accelerated Mercury Engine) and software both. They behave the same. The lockup with CUDA enabled is more severe, it may even make the NVIDIA drivers crash. This is on a GTX 1070. Also tried with an RX 480 and it behaves the same, although there's no driver crash.

I have tried with a fresh Windows 10 install, same behavior. Thought it might be the (already fresh, since it's a new system) OS, but that's not it.

Have disable Intel h.264 accelerated decode. Have played with the memory settings allocating more or less GB to PP and selecting to optimize for Memory, not Performance. The same!

It is most clearly PP. Have even tried with an older version (11.0.1) and still the same. Even tried with Windows 7, completely other OS, new install etc. And the behavior is exactly the same. I still have my old system, an Intel i7 6700K and while it eventually does run out of memory after 1hr or working on very big projects, it doesn't gobble up the 16GB of RAM almost instantly. When conforming on the Intel, RAM rises, then drops a notch, then rises, the drops. On the Ryzen it just rises until there's no more room.

The conclusion is that I cannot use my new system with PP, which is pretty damn disappointing considering that this is kinda the main reason I built it.

Adobe, please look in to the issue with Ryzen memory problems or try to give me a solution cause I'm going mad here...

[moved to hardware forum by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure the Hardware guys will be interested in this:

RoninEdits​, Bill Gehrke​, JFPhoton​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well we need more information on your hardware, what, how many and how are you using storage devices for premiere?

I would sure like to have you run my Adobe Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) which has been successfully run 1000's of times and let us know your results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPBM11.png

Hey!

Finished with the benchmark. Hope this helps, alongside the other information I gave earlier. Support is GREATLY appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the results are not giving me any clue to your memory leak problem Since these four exports in PPBM ran satisfactory.

1. Unfortunately your 8-core 16-thread Ryzen at the normal turbo speed of 3,6 GHz gave us 550 seconds for the CPU intensive test and that puts it in the 4-core 8-thread Intel class of processors.  I will add it to my list.
  2. Your 32 seconds for that same timeline with GPU acceleration with your Radeon RX 480 is quite typical of an AMD GPU  See my GPU data
  3. Your 77 seconds for the Disk intensive export puts in the typical SATA III SSD category see thsi data
  4. Your 97 seconds for the H.264 timeline export which is both CPU and GPU intensive is nothing exciting, see that same GPU chart as above for the results on my much more expensive 8-core Intel system.

Sorry I can not give you any solution to your memory leak but at least these 3 timelines are working properly but not very excitingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Gehrke, I was skeptical from the beginning about how running your benchmark will give any insight to my problem, but I did it anyway, since I get people are curious as to how this system/CPU would perform.

And yes, the results put it within Intel 4c/8t category, since the CPU average load during the software encoding test (and I measured this) was 46.3%, as opposed to my i7 where your benchmark took the CPU to an average load or 94.8%.

That aside, I am still waiting for someone knowledgeable enough to chime in to this problem. It doesn't matter how this CPU compares in a benchmark, I want to run PP CC 2017 on this system without issues.

And another thing - it may score within Intel i7 category, but what this system can do (as opposed to the 4c/8t i7) is make 4k to 1080p encoding in the background on 8 threads while still having smooth performance in the PP timeline (with the other free 8 threads). That's one reason why I need this system to work properly with PP.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

content_creator_07_13  wrote

And another thing - it may score within Intel i7 category, but what this system can do (as opposed to the 4c/8t i7) is make 4k to 1080p encoding in the background on 8 threads while still having smooth performance in the PP timeline (with the other free 8 threads). That's one reason why I need this system to work properly with PP.  

Well since you are scaling 4K to 1080p you really need a better GPU. 

The other thing you have to do is submitted a bug report to Adobe and/or contact their technical support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something might've been off with his test. I uploaded results from my 1700x last night.  CPU scored 260, beating the 6900k and on par with 2xE5 2450s according to your list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have created a conundrum for me.  Yes your 260 score versus this 550 score is a major difference and since I cannot myself duplicate and/or verify the scores I guess I should not publish anything until more Ryzen data comes in.  I am guessing but it looks like your CPU was running at 3.8 GHz, or were you able to overclock it?

I am again guessing that you must have exported your files to your 960 EVO for that 42 seconds Disk I/O score

Your GPU accelerated numbers with your GTX 980 Ti look very reasonable and good.

Thank you for your contribution of your important data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have it overclocked to max at 3.8 on all cores which isn't all that much of an OC for the chip. Most people I know with the 1700x are able to do 4.0GHz.  I have it set to downclock at idle which lowers the performance a bit, but it's probably nominal. Even at stock though, I don't see how it would perform over twice as slow as OP's 1700x. If I have time, I'll try to run the test later tonight with it set to stock clocks.

I used the same drive as my OS drive, which is the 960 EVO, since I currently use it as cache too.

I wasn't able to make sense of the 980Ti scores by comparison so that's good to know. I'm holding out to see what Vega RX might offer before deciding to jump up to the 1080Ti.

I upgraded this system from a 3930K overclocked at 4.2GHz. Referencing your chart and applying my real world use with both systems, I'd say the 260 score seems representative of my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update I removed the OP's number from that CPU list and start checking with a few friends before I put your data in to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a buddy of mine run the test on his Ryzen 1700 system. I asked him to submit his result, but he sent me a screenshot for now. He's slightly more OC'd than me, but not bad for a $329 processor.

unknown.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have me convinced that the Ryzen is a real Intel killer with CPU scores from both systems at 260 seconds and 254 seconds and the other three scores of each look logical and good.  As soon as I get a verification of one item I will publish a new CPU power versus cost chart on my PPBM8 web site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I don't know about that, but for the price it definitely brings some serious muscle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll come back with the benchmark results as soon as I can - the system is not running anymore since I can't use it. I'm on my previous Intel system now.

System specs:

Ryzen 1700X CPU

Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 motherboard

Radeon RX 480 GPU

16GB 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ memory

3TB of HDD storage (this is NOT used for PP, just raw storage)

More than 1 TB os SSD storage (SATA3, not PCIE) - this is used for other stuff, but I have 60GB dedicated for a single project (current project I'm working on in PP), and a 20GB separate cache partition).

Up to date Windows 10 and all drivers.

We're talking importing 20-30 GB max of 4k files. That's around 15-30 files depending on length. I don't see how this could be an issue for PP if it would work correctly.

I tried yesterday to open a previous project that has around 28GB of used video files and it gives me an out of memory message within 10s of opening it. RAM is going like this: 0.5-1.5-4-6-7.5-9-10.5-12-13.5 boom, crash. That 10s worth of time.

I'll repeat the behavior on the Intel system with the same project: slowly shoots up to 7-10GB then has a quick drop to 3-4GB, then goes up again. So it doesn't crash by doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can report the same issue.

I have a Ryzen 1800x, 32gb (2x16) Corsair vengeance 3000hz.

My ryzen is updated to the latest F5 bios.

I am not overclocking (aside from the stock boost).

I am getting out of memory errors during renders. Generally happening when I am rendering in the background and doing something else like web browsing or watching video (not streaming).

I can clearly see (with a number of applications) that I have at least 10gb available when I get these errors.

It seems to be effecting Photoshop and Media Encoder too. I don't use any other adobe apps so can't comment on anything else.

I also have a Samsung Evo m.2 SSD running on 4 of my PCIe lanes.

I am not experiencing this issue with any other applications, including 3DS and Lightwave which are resource intensive when rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, your problem is your memory, you must use G.Skill Flare or Fortis, they are made with Samsung B-Die chips (single rank), the only one, apparently,  that is compatible with speed at 3200MHz for ZEN platform. Sure in a short time all memory's will be 100% compatibles but for now, that is what you need or down the memory speed in BIOS, testing to find a stable speed below 3200MHz. Sorry my bad English and hope this will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines