Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix the color settings?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop screenshot 2.pngphotoshop Screenshot 1.png

I have noticed in Photoshop that my colors are off. It has been like this for a while as I thought I could work around it but it is super annoying now. When ever I make an edit for someone the colors and lighting are always off when I look at it after I save it or look at it on another device. I have tried going into the color setting and changing to different ones. That did not work. I have also reset the settings within Photoshop but that seemed to not change anything. Could anyone help me or should I just get a new computer? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

There are several problems in this post, and Per correctly pointed them out. I'll be even more blunt:

• FOGRA39 may work in some situations in Europe, although ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI) is much more commonly used these days. But anywhere else in the world both are guaranteed to be wrong! Always ask.

• Don't set policies to "convert when opening"! That option should only be used in very special circumstances, and only if the implications are thoroughly understood. It's not a setting for beginners. It ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an even bigger difference in the two images on the first screenshot. The screenshot made the second one fade a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that you have a wide gamut monitor, where a non-color managed app like Photos will always display images over saturated. No changing of color settings or profiles will correct that.

On a wide gamut monitor you must use only color managed programs to view images.

As suggested by Heric Dehon, it's a good idea to calibrate the monitor, but I don't think that's the problem here.

Heric Dehon wrote:

This looks to be a "color profile" problem. Your Photoshop and the image your are using are working in diferent color profiles.

Photoshop will display images correctly even if the image's color space and the Photoshop's working space don't match.

So there is no need to set the RGB color management policy to convert to the working space. Preserve embedded profiles will be fine.

- If you are working for print, use AdobeRGB. When exporting a CMYK file, chose FOGRA39 profile.

There is no generic CMYK profile, like sRGB or Adobe RGB for RGB files.

CMYK profiles are used for offset printing, and you should always ask the printer what profile to use.

They might use one of the standard profiles, or they might have a custom profile for their press.

CMYK profiles also vary greatly in different parts of the world.

For inkjet printers, RGB files should be used, these printers do their own conversion to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks to be a "color profile" problem. Your Photoshop and the image your are using are working in diferent color profiles.

First of all: you should calibrate your monitor. There are several options, so i cant tell you wich one you should use.

If you cant calibrate your monitor, try these (may or may not work):

- If you are working to web, you should use sRGB color profile to your photoshop settings and files.

- If you are working for print, use AdobeRGB. When exporting a CMYK file, chose FOGRA39 profile.

How to setup a color profile? Open photoshop.

Go to EDIT -> COLOR SETTINGS.

In Working Spaces

RGB: Adobe RGB

CMYK: Fogra39

Gray: Dot Gain 20%

Spot: Dot Gain 20%

In Color Management Policies

RGB, CMYK and Gray: Convert to Working...

Uncheck the 3 options below

Conversion Options
Engine: Adobe ACEIntent: Relative Colormetric

Check those 3 options below

Save your profile (remember the name you gave to it).

Open Adobe Bridge. Go to EDIT -> COLOR SETTINGS. Find saved profile. Choose APPLY. Your profile will be applied to all Creative Cloud problems you have in your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are several problems in this post, and Per correctly pointed them out. I'll be even more blunt:

• FOGRA39 may work in some situations in Europe, although ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI) is much more commonly used these days. But anywhere else in the world both are guaranteed to be wrong! Always ask.

• Don't set policies to "convert when opening"! That option should only be used in very special circumstances, and only if the implications are thoroughly understood. It's not a setting for beginners. It can permanently ruin your files, by irreversibly clipping color channels. "Preserve embedded profiles" is the safe and sensible setting. There should normally not be any reason to change that setting, ever.

• Rendering intent is for practical purposes moot. Standard RGB working profiles only support relative colorimetric anyway - whatever you set, that's what you get. It's more relevant for printer profiles, but much better set in the actual conversion.

And yes, the answer to the question here is that Windows Photos is not color managed. The RGB numbers in the file will pass right through and no profile will ever make the slightest difference. And yes again, you must use color managed applications on a wide gamut display, no exceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines