• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to 'Paste Into' text into a Shape without loosing the words around the edge of the shape?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to copy some text into a shape (kind of like a clipping mask) which I have done via 'Paste Into'. This has worked fine but I have now lost words that do not fit into the shape. Is there a way of formatting this so that all of the text can be read but still maintains the shape?

I have attached an image to better explain what I am trying to do.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I've been struggling with this all day!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Convert your shape to Text Frame and fill with your text. No Paste Into required:

shape.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lounge Forum is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum... A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or InDesign or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I thought I had written this but I obviously missed it. The program is InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from The Lounge to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert your shape to Text Frame and fill with your text. No Paste Into required:

shape.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah brilliant thank you!

Is there a way of maintaining the two columns of text? I have done this but it has copied the text into one column like the below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the frame, cmd+B and change number of columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lisa,

if you want gain flexibility I would work with two frames.
One for the text, that could be a rectangular text frame or even two threaded text frames plus the shape.
The two frames would be stacked:

1-Two-Column-TextWrap.png

Then you could wrap the text inside like that:

2-Two-Column-TextWrap.png

And you are able to optimize text composition by moving the text frame horizontally or changing the width of the frame:

3-Two-Column-TextWrap.png

4-Two-Column-TextWrap.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of Paste into, copy the text, not the frame, and click with the text tool into the frame and paste it as text. The text will flow into this vector form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines