• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is lightroom falling behind capture one?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just watched a promotion video of capture one and was very disappointed to find that lightroom falls very far behind in development and editability options in all properties. why is this happening? is there a huge update planned to close this enormous gap? the last thing I want to do is leave adobe for some standalone program. this is very troubling.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you reach this conclusion based on a promotion video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well in the video the showed a post process artist's workflow using the program's tools.

I reach this conclusion by being exposed to the editing tools yes.

my work process is 95% lightroom and 5% photoshop, this is a huge deal for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically is missing in Lightroom for you?

I use both Lightroom and Capture One. I don't find one better than the other. Depends on the image I'm working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, the color range looks like an incredible tool. the color balance tool that allows you to control shadows highlights and mid-tones separately. in the local adjustment's the editability options are far superior in capture one. this has always bothered me (for example you can't make color adjustments locally in lightroom). the skin tone adjustment that has been missing for years and years in lightroom. an example from today's workflow - I shot a cover in mixed lighting, flash and sunlight. i had to export the file to photoshop to get rid of the redness in half of the woman's face that was facing the sun.

almost forgot - luminosity editing capability!!!! such a highly significant feature! every lighting adjustment in lightroom is dragging behind it a color adjustment, ridiculous,

Now, of course, all these features exist in photoshop but exporting the raw file cuts the image data significantly and the results are always inferior.

basically 85% of the things the video i shared demonstrates are missing in lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have (for instance) white balance - temperature and tint - among the local adjustment options in Lightroom. Tone curve, HSL, etc do a good job generally speaking and the fact that these things are not presented under the same names or in the same way as in C1, is no great issue IMO. "Missing in Lightroom" - that's an overstatement.

I saw very little actually done to the image in the video, that would not have been achievable in LR too... not with the exact same tool, naturally enough, but achievable nonetheless.

Some options, e.g. the ability to adjust saturation selectively for shadows / mids / highlights.... yes, very nice as a direct tool - but possible by other means.

Someone who knows what he / she is doing with any reasonably capable program, will find a way to achieve what's wanted more or less regardless of what particular toolset is offered. Someone who doesn't, won't - again, regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must jest. try to do local sharpness for example in lightroom, global effect without any control of radius or masking.

changing skin tones with multiple mask brush strokes takes a long time for accuracy of burshing and makes the image heavier by the stroke.

luminosity adjustments are none existent.

where is the vibrance in local adjustments?

HSL is a clumsy tool. virtually unusable for high end results.

Adobe is slacking with lightroom sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with you. You apparently haven't taken the time to really learn how to use Lightroom. Terminology might be a little different, but Lightroom's tools do exactly what I need. If you feel the other program is better for you then by all means go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tools don't determine the outcome - you do. You just find ways to get where you want. Any reasonably advanced toolset can do anything.

Lightroom has its problems, but this isn't one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do Anything with Lightroom but that wasn't the issue I was addressing. I said Lightroom was falling behind. It's like photoshop cs3 vs photoshop cc2017. you can achieve the same result with both but the newer version is much more user friendly and the UI is far more developed and advanced. Lightroom hasn't really moved forward in a couple of years except adding dehaze and capture1 is swooping ahead in development, and that vexe me. Honestly this whole thread purpose is an attempt to push the developers beyond their current limits, feels like they fell asleep lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a running Capture One subscription, and I do have the latest version installed. Right there to the left of Lightroom:

taskbar.png

I just don't use it beyond the occasional fiddling out of curiosity. I subscribed mainly to have a Lightroom backup, in case the ongoing speed problems in Lightroom got any worse. Aside from that, I think Lightroom is superior in most ways that matter.

You have to take Capture One marketing with a grain of salt. Notice how a large part of it involves the word "magic"? It really does. Enough people fall for that to create an image of C1 as something different from all the others. Oh yes, marketing works, just look at Apple.

Any application reaches a point of maturity, where it's difficult to imagine any new functionality. Major new functionality is things like improved noise reduction, sharpening, highlight recovery. I'm not talking about things like Dehaze, which in my mind is just a gee-whiz gimmick and probably way overused. Photoshop is a case in point. Nothing major has happened there since smart objects and auto-align/blend. And it doesn't need to. The rest is just cosmetics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that magic bit was complete rubbish, completely unprofessional talk.

other than that i really don't think lightroom has reached maturity. great many of it's tools are extremely clumsy, curves HSL etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're debating with Lightroom users in a Lightroom forum here. Not sure what you're hoping to achieve since your comments would better directed at the Lightroom engineering team, none of whom visit these user forums.

Whilst we all have our pet peeves and wishlists for LR, most of us are happy enough with Lightroom at the moment, otherwise we'd probably switch.

Why don't you just use Capture One since it obviously suits your needs better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well if lightroom engineers don't visit this forum than this thread is void.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. These forums are for users to help other users with using the software.

Adobe never comments on future plans for their software anyway, in any public space. So you can vent to your heart's content but it won't go anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well if lightroom engineers don't visit this forum than this thread is void.

Post your thoughts in the official Adobe feedback forum: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Product developers do actively monitor that forum and sometimes reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines