• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking/sequencing 4 image boxes per page...

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out if a feature exists in Indesign (very new to it). I am trying to make a book which has pictures of animals sequenced by alphabetical order.  I would like each page to have four different pictures in landscape.

Let's say, for instance,  when you open the book, two pages look like this:

A   B.    | F.  G

C.  E.    | H.  I

( vertical bars signify the binding between pages in the book.)

Now, let's say we discovered that there is a new letter called 'D'. I need to be able to have a way to tell the computer that the bottom right quadrant of the first page should now be D, and it needs to know to push  I need to be able to have a way to tell the computer that the bottom right quadrant of the first page should now be D, and it needs to know to push 'E'  The top left quadrant of the next page, move 'G' and 'H' to the next quadrants, and move 'I' to the first quadrant of the next page.

Is there anyway to do this that you guys are aware of? This one is driving me a little nuts...  It doesn't necessarily have to be done in indesign,  but I'm told by some people that it's probably my best shot. Hopefully you guys have a better idea than any of us do   . I'd really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks all!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set all your graphics anchored in a 2-column text flow, that should accomplish what you describe.

Work with anchored objects in InDesign

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

why a 2-column text flow?

A 1-column story that is flowing through one text frame per page could work best.

Provided the size of all the images is all equal:

It could be as easy as that:

1. Place an image to the pasteboard.

2. Resize the image.

3. Cut the image.

4. Paste the image to an insertion point of a text frame.

The images are flowing with the text. Like simple characters.

Line by line, two images per line, in one single paragraph throughout several pages.

But that's a solution for the most simplest layout, only.

To give further assistance, we need some screenshots from the OP.
It would be important to know, if the images are of equal size and if they are positioned equally relative to the spine or not.
And also: Are there any captions? Other text elements that divide the images from each other.

To Z300Racer37:

For posting screenshots use the forum's feature "Insert Image" at the tool bar:

InsertInlineImage-ScreenCapture-AdobeForums.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have pointed out you can make Images flow with Text so as you add more text or Images the rest move... Which sort of accomplishes what you want and would be the best way to accomplish your end goal.

But in the method you describe of simply re flowing the images on their own without text, replacing/deleting the previous image or adding a new image frame... this cannot be done directly in this manner (currently).

There may be a time when this feature becomes automated but I don't know if or when that may ever happen. I would imagine it would require an altered version of the Content placer tool to create these special linked frames that allow reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your help so far. I would like to register that the images are in fact the same size, and essentially what I'm looking to do is have a grid flow from upper left to bottom right, and the bottom right would flow to the top left of the next page. I will try to take what you guys have mentioned and apply it (noob lol) and I will let you know if anything worked. Any other ideas you all might have in the meantime (and basic steps?) would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I thought you were going from top to bottom first. Pardon!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines