• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upgrading from the stand alone Lightroom 6.0 to 6.9

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6 standalone version with my serial number and want to upgrade to the latest version. When I open the AdobePatch Installer that I downloaded, it says "updates could not be applied" and to contact my system administrator. I tried contacting customer care and they referred me here. 

Can you help?  I see one thread which talks about uninstalling the previous version of 6.0.  Then reinstalling it then upgrading from there.  I'm frankly spooked by the idea of uninstalling.  I'm afraid that could screw up my existing catalogues...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Whew.  Such little things.  And now they gone!

Thanks Jao

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system?

Try manually downloading and installing 6.9 from

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got Mac OS 10.12.3

And I just tried again and got the same answer as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the error message give you a link to a log file so you've got more clues for troubleshooting?

Could be a permissions issue in Sierra

Adobe CC and macOS Sierra compatibility issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error messages unfortunately. Just to contact system administrator.  And when I checked that other link you gave me, most of the talk was about difficulties once Lightroom or CC is installed.  Nothing about the installation itself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is.  Thanks for your patience.  I do hope you get paid for this...Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming this is your own personal computer and not a business computer locked down by corporate policy, try

Adobe: Please contact your Administrator if you wish to apply updates on your machine. Updates have ...

These are user to user forums. We're all volunteers helping each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh John.  Thank you so much.  Especially because you are volunteering.  The "paid help" from Adobe was useless.  I would have thought that with all the money Adobe is pulling in that they could take some financial responsibility with customer support for their products.  Enough of a rant....

You've given me a good lead.  My personal laptop was loaded with stuff from a work laptop after I retired.  This is a good idea.  Its about time that I lost the system administrator function.

But I'm going to pull away from this project tonight.  I'm on the east coast of Canada.  It's dark and cold and we are going to lose an hour of sleep tonight.  I'll try this in the morning....And hopefully update you on the results before you wake up if you are on the west coast.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually in Australia.

Good luck with cleaning your computer. Hope it goes well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the place that this page recommended:  <Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

And they have a particular script that I'm supposed to put into that folder.

So I copied that script put it into word then saved it as a .txt

But the place I'm supposed to put it is not really a folder.  It looks like the attached.  For some reason the "VLC" icon is there.

I'm quite out of my depth here.  I can tell that I'm into the bowels of the OS and don't want to screw up.Untitled.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this error message on people's computers that have used some of the fake cleaning tools you can find online that are actually quite akin to malware. A big example is maccleaner which should be avoided at all cost. If you've ever used one of these, they modify your application files and it makes the updater not recognize the application as real.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, the simplest thing to try now is to completely reinstall Lightroom. Just drag Lightroom from your applications folder into the trash. Download the installer from Download Photoshop Lightroom. Install the 6.0 version from there. Then download the upgrader to 6.9 and try to run that. If this doesn't work, there is a tool that Adobe makes available to clean your installation here: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.​ Then follow that by reinstalling LR 6.0 followed by the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. the question marks in your finder screenshot in the top bar really worry me. They are not supposed to be there. I wonder what is causing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion Jao.  I think I'm going to back away from this issue.  Honestly there wasn't a particular urgency for me to updating Lightroom.  6.0 has been working fine for me.  I just wanted to get the "latest version" in case there were improvements that I would actually notice.  I don't want to risk screwing up my existing catalogues.  I remember once doing something with Lightroom and I had a difficult time connecting it back to the catalogues. 

I'll just wait for Lightroom 7 to upgrade.  Hopefully it will be standalone...

And as for the little question marks in the tool bar:  I think this happened when I was dragging a file across the bar at the top and by mistake let it go.  Then for a while it seemed to be imbedded in the grey bar.  I couldn't find a way to get rid of it.  Now there are just question marks.

Thanks for your help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! They are references to files that are now gone. Control click on the top bar part of a finder window. Select "Costumize toolbar". Now you should be able to drag the question marks out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew.  Such little things.  And now they gone!

Thanks Jao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have standalone LR v6.6 Mac and I need to upgrade to v6.9 to provide support for a new camera.

Help -> Updates tells me my installed version is already up-to-date.  From previous experience, I understand I need to update manually which involves first deleting my installed version, then downloading and installing a fresh copy of v6.0, and then downloading and installing the v6.9 updater.

The process is so convoluted that I do this as rarely as possible, and I have forgotten exactly how I did it last time.

Can someone kindly talk me through this again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W.W., You only need to download and install the updater to 6.9. No need to go back to 6.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That should make the upgrade a little bit easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh-oh!  Here we go again.

screen_0308.png

The Error log reads -

Lightroom CC (2015.9) / 6.9

Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M2P28

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh the dreaded U44 code. This happens when parts of the installation are missing and the installer gets confused by certain parts of the installation missing and refuses to run the update. Typically this happens with either hard disk problems or when you use fake "system speedup" utilities such as MacDefender, speed up my mac, and such that are all over the internet but that are basically viruses. At best they are benign but typically they cause all kinds of issues. Anyway the solution is to follow the instructions here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous/​ And instead of installing an updater to a previous version, you install the final update after the 6.0 install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and if you happen to have one of these fake system speedup utilities installed, you should get rid of it. There are instructions that you can find on the internet on how to get rid of them. You should also run a Disk Utility repair of the disk and of the permissions on the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the Lightroom Queen's process (which is the process I thought I needed to use, rather than running the 6.9 updater directly), the install of v6.0 after removing the previous v6.6 from disk, results in -

screen_0309.png

I think the Error Summary page reported a cryptic message "System Configuration", or some such, but v6.6 was running perfectly so that can hardly be the problem.  I have restarted my computer and repeated the attempted v6.0 install with the same result.

What do I do now?  There's nothing wrong with my computer, I don't run any virus software, firewalls, or speedup utilities, etc - my computer is as clean as a whistle!  Why does this have to be so hard, Adobe?

Your further help and advice will be very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This points to your Lightroom installation having the wrong permissions set. Are you running your computer using an administrator account? First run Disk Utility for the Applications/Utilities folder. Select your internal hard disk and run "first aid" on it.

Then take the Lightroom app from your Applications folder. Run the uninstall application or simply drag the whole Lightroom folder in the trash. Run the 6.0 installer which should run now. Then run the 6.9 update.

P.S. updates to Lightroom are not normally done from the application itself anymore or manually like the process suggested above but from the creative cloud app, even if you run a standalone version. Very confusing indeed.

P.S. 2, what version operating system are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines