• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create PDF with password protection using Excel/VBA

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a program that creates Excel files and converts them to PDF (Export As Fixed Format). Now I need to add password on open to the PDF files. How do I do that? Any help would be recommended.

Also, on a similar note printing word to pdf has encrypt with password feature but printing excel to pdf does not. Highly recommend you add this feature to PDF.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to add. The feature is available in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd,

Sorry what I meant to ask was how to save an excel file as PDF With Password Protection using VBA macros. I know how to save as PDF without password protection as feature is available but cannot see an option to save with password protection.

Any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat has no interface for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. When you use the PDFMaker plugin to convert an Office file to PDF you can specify a file-open or file-edit password directly.

These settings can be found under the Security tab of the Acrobat PDFMaker Preferences dialog:

I can't say for sure whether or not you can do all of that using a VBA macro, though, but Acrobat can certainly do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need the full Acrobat Professional for PDFMaker and Password protection feature or is Adobe Reader enough. Reason I ask is that when I open an Excel file and save as PDF I do not see the encrypt with password option, however from Word when I save as PDF I see the encrype with password option. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like that Microsoft doesn't add this feature to Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I mean no PROGRAMMING Interface. Indeed, there is no supported API for scripting PDFMaker at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader is just a reader. To make files or set security you need Acrobat (paid for).

I guess from your question you're creating a PDF eithout using any Adobe product... So it's hard to answer what features you have, or respond to your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines