• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog import painfully slow

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consolidated several catalogs into the master. On average 400GB each one with any issue at all.

The last one - smaller than those imported previously, has achieved 1/6 of the import in 24 hrs projecting to be completed in the next 3+ days!!!

Before importing it I:

• checked free space on both the source and the destination drives: 2+TB free on each one;
  • optimized the catalog

Clearly the UI is not providing any feedback (Adobe, improving this process?) and frankly not sure what I could have done or do differently considering that al my previous imports lasted on average 20 min and worked fine.

Should I abort the import? Did it once after 4 hrs, but the second attempt hasn't delivered a better outcome.

Just wait till the end of the week?

...?

Thanks, Stefano

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

I eventually managed to consolidate all my catalogues in a master, now 3.4GB in total size and roughly 190K images.

Performance seem OK.

I decided to break down the catalog that required several days to complete the import process in four smaller portions of almost identical dimensions. This solution dramatically shortened the entire process. What will remain a mystery is why two of the four new catalog required several hours each, while the other two completed the process in a matter of minutes.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the LrCat files really 400 GB in size, or is that including the preview folders?

If the LrCat files are really that big, I would leave them as separate catalogs for performance reasons unless you really have a need to merge them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually managed to consolidate all my catalogues in a master, now 3.4GB in total size and roughly 190K images.

Performance seem OK.

I decided to break down the catalog that required several days to complete the import process in four smaller portions of almost identical dimensions. This solution dramatically shortened the entire process. What will remain a mystery is why two of the four new catalog required several hours each, while the other two completed the process in a matter of minutes.

Had a conversation with Richard Curtis from Adobe at the Birmingham Photography Show and he strongly recommended to create a single catalog with Smart Previews (he claims to have a Master catalog with 300+K images).

Waiting for Apple to introduce new high performance iMacs with Type C ports, to further improve performance.

Thanks, Stefano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Our catalog is 943315 images but it is getting dang slow on imports from other catalogs because it tries to compare each image agains the ones that are in db.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow importing can be a hardware problem, perhaps a bad card reader/bad USB cable/bad connection to the camera or to the USB port. I would certainly investigate this, and try importing with different hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try aborting the import, closing LR, and rebooting the computer. See if that speeds things up.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines