• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of unwanted outlines on white text?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm new to After Effects so apologies if there's a really obvious answer to this..!

Basically, I'm trying to render a video with static white text on a red background (using these presets: H.264 - Match Source, High Bitrate, 1080x1080p). The problem is, it keeps rendering with a weird 1px black outline around the text (particularly on the left hand side of each letter).

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 20.34.35.png

When exporting as a Lossless Quicktime with Best Settings it looks like this (which is much closer to what I need):

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 20.37.23.png

The resulting file however is way big... I need to post this to Instagram, so I believe the settings I mentioned earlier are more suited, but I need to get rid of the black outlines... If anyone knows how to, I'd be much obliged!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

What you're seeing is a product of the very bad color resolution in H.264.  It becomes most apparent when there is one solid color against another, like your white text against pink.

You may not be able to get rid of it.  It depends on what you are required to deliver out of After Effects, so please tell us.  But understand that you may be stuck with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is a product of the very bad color resolution in H.264.  It becomes most apparent when there is one solid color against another, like your white text against pink.

You may not be able to get rid of it.  It depends on what you are required to deliver out of After Effects, so please tell us.  But understand that you may be stuck with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave already said it - you are seeing an inherent limitation of MPEG-based compression algorithms (and many others' fort hat matter) - color quantization. You can't avoid it entirely, but you may be able by choosing more suitable colors.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also help disguise it by adding some texture to your images. Whether its over the whole thing or only over certain elements, adding texture really helps break up issues like this. Bonus, it's also more visually interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines