Exit

How do I add a custom brush effect?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a question:

Is it possible to use custom brushes in After Effects? I have an illustration in Illustrator, in which I’m using charcoal brushes, but when I import it into AE, it’s not an editable path anymore In the brushes panel in AE I can see that there are only built-in brushes, is it possible to import custom brushes from Illustrator?

If not, do you know how I could add this effect to a stroke in AE, to make it more rough, uneven, more like a charcoal, chalk brush? I could use normal brushes and then maybe add this distortion effect to it? Is it possible?

Thanks for all your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Sorry, but AE does not allow the use of custom brushes.

You can, however roughen the edges of a carefully-masked solid, animating it as a track matte to reveal the charcoal Illustrator layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but AE does not allow the use of custom brushes.

You can, however roughen the edges of a carefully-masked solid, animating it as a track matte to reveal the charcoal Illustrator layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. My illustration is a bit complicated, so I'm not going to do that, but thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are third party tools that let you have brushes in After Effects. Paint and Stick comes to mind. You might not need the stick part, but the paint part should be perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It really saddens me that there are so many features that are 100% necessary in this software, that we have to pay for hundreds of third party plugins just so we can have the effect that we want in our video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines