Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching InDesign back and forth between Arabic and English

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We will soon be getting arabic InDesign documents supplied to us on a semi regular basis.

I've tested switching InDesign CC 2015 from english north american to arabic using these instructions without any issue.

Problem is going back. After changing the language back to english north american in the preferences, I do not get the option to install the InDesign app again.

(I re-installed as english international instead just to get up and running again. This worked OK.)

After this, I checked to see if I could go back to arabic again, and after again changing the language to arabic in preferences, I still do not get the option to install InDesign again like I did the first time I went through the process.

If I completely un-install InDesign, then re-install it, I can then go through the original process of changing to to arabic but this is extremely time consuming & un-efficient.

Just wondering I'm missing something here? Is there an easier way to switch the app back and forth between these languages?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In your situation, I would consider creating a new user on my computer to switch between 'users' instead of un-installing and re-installing all the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nice thing about Adobe CC, is you're able to download older copies on your computer.

From the Adobe CC desktop menu, scroll up/down to find the section "FIND ADDITIONAL APPS", click on the "Previous Versions" drop menu and choose "VIEW PREVIOUS VERSIONS".

From the same Adobe CC desktop menu, click on InDesign "Install" button to access previous versions, this way you may download InDesign CC (2014) or CC (2017) but before you download, switch your Language to "English يدعم العربية" from the Preferences.

You may proceed to download InDesign CC (2014) with Arabic / Persian / Urdu capabilities now and have both InDesign versions on the same machine. This way you may run both InDesign versions at the same time if needed hence keeping your English version. But don't forget to switch Creative Cloud language in the Preferences menu back to English.

previous1.jpg

previous2.jpg

previous3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - has the advice for switching changed?

I managed to change preferences and install ME version. But when I have tried to go back, I face the same problem as the original poster. On my CC there is no option to install older versions? HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the latest version of the CC desktop app, the interface has changed a bit for choosing past versions of the applications:

Finder005.png

Preview002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you ought to be aware of, is when you create or edit a document in InDesign with Middle Eastern options, it is better to continue to work on it on the same version. Well the reason being when you open your document in an English InDesign version after it was created or edited and saved in a Middle Eastern (ME) InDesign, all punctuations such as full stop, question mark, and the like will appear at the wrong position of the line.

From experience, it is better to start and complete the job on the same InDesign ME version or English version till exporting it to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME version have it English interface. By the fact ME is an extended English version. Why you need to switch between? Use it "ME" version and don't worry about it.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines